Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Service Broker: Klaus Aschenbrenner

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, March 29, 2010 10:31 AM by Greg Low

Comments

Jonathan Kehayias said:

+1 on this being an excellent book.  I learned a lot about SB from Klaus before loaning this to another SQL DBA that was having problems getting into SB.

March 28, 2010 7:53 PM

David Gardiner said:

It's ironic that because SMSS is based on the Visual Studio shell, you can actually build SMSS addins in a similar way to regular VS addins. But as my friend (and former colleague) Ben Laan found out when he created his SQL Formatter - http://code.google.com/p/sqlformat/ , it isn't that well documented.

If SMSS adopts the new WPF-based shell, that may help things along a bit too as far as lowering the bar to creating new addins/extensions.

-dave

March 28, 2010 8:55 PM

RBarryYoung said:

Excellent post Greg, This perfectly expresses my own feelings and views on Ms & Service Broker, a wonderful tool and technology, (I would even go so far as to say *Game-Changing*) that languishes for a lack of love from MS.  And Klaus's book is easily the best Service Broker book I have ever found.

March 29, 2010 10:44 AM

Allen White said:

After finally getting a Service Broker solution implemented successfully, I'm really impressed with the

April 3, 2010 6:50 PM

Rob Wylie said:

Klaus's book was and is an excellent guide to getting my head around service broker.   Of course, you helped abit as well!!

May 2, 2010 8:45 PM

Tony S. said:

I too am enjoying this book.

The section on Transaction Management is very helpful, let down only by the fact that there was little guidance on how to handle the unclosed conversations when using set processing. The conversations need to be ended at both the initiator and target.

In all, a well written,informative and greatly detailed book. Highly recommended. Tony S.

May 20, 2010 7:31 AM

Paul Hunter (SqlNightOwl) said:

So many good reports that I just ordered the book.  Now it's just a waiting game.

March 1, 2012 8:59 PM

Greg Low said:

Ah, the answer to the waiting game is the word "Kindle" :-)

March 2, 2012 2:34 PM