The Bit Bucket (Greg Low): IDisposable

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Windows 7 GodMode

OK, I'm sure many will have already seen this but if you haven't:

Create a folder in Windows 7 and rename it to:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Then check out it's contents. That's seriously geeky and cool.

Published Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:24 AM by Greg Low

Comments

Mike C said:

Here's a list of Canonical names for control panel items in Win 7 from MSDN.  Same trick should work with them: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330741(VS.85).aspx

January 8, 2010 11:46 PM

Adam Machanic said:

It's cute, but that's about the extent of it.

January 9, 2010 3:13 PM

Robert E said:

This type of trick has existed sense Windows 95.  There are several GUIDs that can be appended to any folder name to provide the functionality of the object the GUID represents.  Also, the name before the dot does not matter.

Try NotifyMe.{05d7b0f4-2121-4eff-bf6b-ed3f69b894d9}

I do not know all the requirements, but many of the GUIDs located in the CLSID key (HKCL\CLSID) that have a ShellFolder key in the registry will have this functionality.

January 10, 2010 11:11 AM

Roman Rehak said:

Do NOT do this on Windows Server 2008. The Windows Explorer shell crashed so badly it could not recover and my admin needed to delete and recreate my profile on that machine to allow me to use it again. Luckily this was a fresh new server we were just building.

January 11, 2010 12:30 PM

Greg Low said:

Yes, Win7 is where I'd try it. There was a bug I've heard in the x64 Win Server 2008 with it.

Regards,