Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

OT Book: On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:48 PM by Greg Low

Comments

CJ said:

That book is 150 years old, and scientists *still* haven't proven that microevolution (natural selection) leads to macroevolution...  I'll keep holding my breath!

October 31, 2009 1:41 AM

Greg Low said:

Given the timeframes it works over, I think you'll be holding it a long time :-)

October 31, 2009 1:54 AM

Ken said:

That's a good reason to find a way to live forever so I can see how it all pans out. :-)

October 31, 2009 2:55 AM

Alex Rosa said:

interesting...I'm curious, I'll read this book too.

October 31, 2009 6:44 AM

rjbook said:

Unfortunately this book is already regarded as a stunningly influential book for those that believe in it. Personally I would not put my faith in it.

October 31, 2009 7:40 AM

cinahcaM madA said:

CJ: Nor have they proven that it doesn't. And no compelling alternative theories have come to light. So it's the best we have to work with, at least for now.

October 31, 2009 9:11 AM

JamesHip said:

Greg, big ups from me to you for having a life outside your chosen field of speciality.  I'm glad you posted about this important topic.  There's nothing I like more than discussing Origins.

However, I'm amazed you can read that book and not cringe.  The science was minimal, the conjecture vast, the racism rampant, the outright pleading for there to be an alternative to accountability to higher power.  When I look at the same samples Darwin cites, I see the majesty and beauty of creation, not the ugliness of millions of years of death, struggle and disease.  It WAS hugely influential: in eugenics, abortion, euthanasia, atheism (which lead to two world wars - far outstripping any so-called religious wars).

Its time is (thankfully) finally coming to an end.  Creationism (religious) and Intelligent Design (scientific) are the double-blow that will finally depose this hugely negative humanistic philosphy from its perch.

November 1, 2009 4:21 AM

dan said:

Yoinks, one of the more emotive blog postings...

Science works by successive theories improving on past ones with the benefit of improved observations.  Newton's "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants".

Theories are children of their time, so you can't blame Darwin for the accepted views of his time now appearing unacceptable to our eyes.

Evidence, not belief, supercedes currently accepted beliefs.

As for whether his theories have led to the downfall of humanity, the human race had been practicing eugenics, abortion, euthanasia, atheism and wars long before Charles Darwin came along.

November 2, 2009 4:52 AM

dmeade said:

I wouldn't put much faith into it either rubbish plain and simple

November 2, 2009 10:53 AM

Craig Bailey said:

Greg,

You've inspired me to read this book also.

I've heard so many people both praise and criticise the book, and if I'm honest I'll admit to having had strong opinions on it in the past - even though I've never actually read it myself.

I borrowed the Ilustrated version (http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Species-Illustrated-Charles-Darwin/dp/1402756399/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257242518&sr=8-2) from the library today. What a beautiful book. I'm looking forward to finally having a considered opinion on it in not-to-distant future :-)

Cheers,

Craig

November 3, 2009 5:06 AM

Geoff said:

People had thoughts about evolution. His idea was to bring natural selection and variation as the underlying mechanism.

He knew nothing about what was going on at the molecular level. The more we learn about what goes on at the molecular level, the less convincing neo-Darwinian explanations have become.

November 3, 2009 11:07 AM

Linchi Shea said:

As far as science goes, a flawed theory is better than just faith. If we are not talking about science, we are dealing with millions of different faiths out there, which of them to pick is yet another faith.

November 4, 2009 4:00 PM