Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Kevin Kline's Travel Meme

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, October 26, 2009 4:55 PM by Greg Low

Comments

ALZDBA said:

11. make sure you have the correct visa / traveling passport. Double check with your travel agency or www of your destination country.

12. It's always good to have a printout of your conference subscription, just in case an officer at the border pops up the standar question "why are you comming to our country".

13. Support the border agents. Don't try to be the funny guy. They must take their you very serious and can give you a very hard time if you don't.

October 26, 2009 7:58 AM

Glenn Berry said:

Good advice, Greg.

I would add advice about not taking large containers of liquids in carry-on bags, and not wearing clothes with lots of metal (such as big belt buckles) when you go through security.

October 26, 2009 12:05 PM

cinahcaM madA said:

It's always fun to joke with the people at the airport about the bomb in your bag. They find that kind of thing to be really humorous. Also great if you happen to have a fake hunting knife that you can pull out once on the plane. I find that this really breaks the ice and makes for a much more jovial atmosphere during the flight.

October 26, 2009 2:45 PM

Greg Low said:

That's funny Adam. In all seriousness, I have joked a bit with them at times but you need to keep a very straight face. I had a lady in Brisbane checking my bag ask "Is there anything flammable in your luggage?". I said "almost everything". She nearly fainted. I said "what do you really mean? it's all clothes and books".

October 26, 2009 2:53 PM

Rick Heiges said:

I'd also like to add another tip.  If you are a novice and want to look like a pro, practice your security screening.  Take off your sooes and coat - get your laptop out of your bag along with your liquids and reassemble as fast as you can.  I have a particular order that works best for me in the way that I push things through the x-ray.  I usually have the first tray with my liquids and shoes (some airposrts like shoes directly on the conveyor belt) followed by my roll-aboard suit case.  This way, I have my shoes on quickly and can place my liquids back into my suitcase easily.  This is followed by my laptop bag and a tray with my two laptops (a netbook and a notebook).  this way I can have the laptop bag ready to receive the laptopswhen they come through.  This makes it very efficient to get through the screening process quickly so I can spend more time waiting....  :-)

October 28, 2009 2:39 PM