Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

LINQ to SQL: Does it have much of a future?

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:10 AM by Greg Low

Comments

Jason Massie said:

They are all just an ORM to me and come with the pro\cons of using an ORM. Does LINQ\EF remove any of the usual con's?

There was a big stink about the future of LINQ to SQL and I believe this post was meant to address it. http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive/2008/10/29/update-on-linq-to-sql-and-linq-to-entities-roadmap.aspx

"

We’re making significant investments in the Entity Framework such that as of .NET 4.0 the Entity Framework will be our recommended data access solution for LINQ to relational scenarios.  We are listening to customers regarding LINQ to SQL and will continue to evolve the product based on feedback we receive from the community as well.

"

SQL data services access looks like it is EF based too.

JM

December 23, 2008 11:15 PM

Pawel Pabich said:

L2S supports 1:1, 1:n and inheritance(http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/bursteg/archive/2007/10/01/linq-to-sql-inheritance.aspx). It's not that bad but I agree that it is limited if you compare it to NHibernate or Entity Framework. As you said it's simple and it suits people that build small apps.

December 24, 2008 7:20 AM

Steve Dassin said:

@Jason Massie said:

>They are all just an ORM to me and come with the pro\cons of using an ORM.

Unfortunately this naive and ridiculously shallow view of L2S/EF is prevalent in the sql community. This is the first ORM of its kind and it's a belittlement to the technology to lump it in with its ORM predecessors. If you're going to pass a judgment at least make the effort to understand what MS is trying to achieve.

December 28, 2008 4:03 PM

Jason Massie said:

Thanks Steve :) That statement was followed by a question that would have been the perfect chance to enlighten me.

December 29, 2008 8:37 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Wow, it has been already a year since I wrote A year in review, The 21 + 1 best blog posts on SQLBlog

December 31, 2008 10:38 AM

Wile1one said:

It is interesting the thrust of your point is one I commonly hear in working with MSAccess...   The argument for expediency because of mission critical requirement vs using the tool irresponsibly.

Anyone who dares to look under the covers and "Understand" the gizzards is bound to be horrified...   I would point you at the vehicle you drive to work, polluting atmosphere and creating greenhouse gases in the manufacture of the fuel,   we would all walk to work if we truly understood what we are doing to the planet...

But we all drive,  because it is expedient and necessary that we move quickly from one place to another to be effective at what we do. The good thing about the tool is it puts coders into productive mode without waiting on DBA's to dig the data out...  provided you recognise the limitation and consequence of this...  I believe it to be a responsible use of the product,  and that is where I see its major role.

January 13, 2009 6:14 AM

Wile1one said:

I ran out of comment Greg so I posted on my Blog here...

My point is that LINQ to SQL appears to be exhibiting the same growth patterns as MS Access had some years back...

Comm se Comm Ca....???   a timely warning of history repeating?

February 9, 2009 7:19 AM