The Bit Bucket (Greg Low): IDisposable

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

SQL Server Books Online - August released

I'm encouraging people to update Books Online on a regular basis. The August version for 2008 has hit the download sites today. You can get it here:

Published Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:54 PM by Greg Low

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

August BOL... Just in time for October!  :-)

Seriously, I was surprised to not see a date mentioned anywhere on the link you posted... you don't see anything until you click on download for your language.  I think it will make it hard for some people (e.g. those who go there but didn't see your post) to know that there has been any kind of update at all.

October 1, 2008 7:03 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Aaron,

I just figured that saying it was the August update for 2008 was what was needed. What sort of date are you meaning?

Regards,

Greg

October 1, 2008 7:39 AM

Aaron Bertrand said:

Hi Greg, I know *you* said it was the August update.  But I am not complaining about your post, but the link itself.  where on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx do you see anything about August?  I would expect that page to reflect that there has been an update, and state the publish date (Sept.30).

October 1, 2008 8:34 AM

jerryhung said:

Actually when you go to the Download page, it clearly says

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Books Online (August 2008)

so it makes sense to not have date/specific info on the landing page of Books Online, which has been there from CTP6/RC0/RTM and forever?

October 1, 2008 11:59 AM

jchang said:

the date publish is 30 Sep, but the file is:

SQLServer2008_BOL_August2008_ENU.msi

October 1, 2008 12:40 PM

aaronbertrand said:

but jerry, if I go to the main page and don't see any information about an update, why would I ever click download?  I would expect to download the version I already have, since the main page didn't really encourage me to proceed.

October 1, 2008 8:16 PM