The Bit Bucket (Greg Low): IDisposable

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

SQL Server 2008 eBook from MSPress (and free)

Hi Folks,

I recently wrote a chapter in the new eBook "Introducing SQL Server 2008" at MSPress. Peter DeBetta was the main author and Mark Whitehorn also wrote. It’s now available: http://csna01.libredigital.com/?urss1q2we6

And it’s free !

Enjoy.

(PS: I've had a few people ask how you read it. It downloads with a cfm file extension for some bizarre reason. It is a pdf. Just rename it to be one and you should be fine).

Published Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:15 AM by Greg Low

Comments

Darren Neimke said:

Thanks Greg, downloaded and ready for reading! :-)

September 16, 2008 9:01 PM

Justin Langford said:

I've just spotted this on Greg Low's blog ( http://sqlblog.com/blogs/greg_low/archive/2008/09

September 17, 2008 6:31 AM

gerry lowry said:

While the FREE e-book is appreciated, it should be noted that although the end-user is permitted to "download" the .pdf, it is NOT a true download per se.

One must be on-line to view the e-book.  The .pdf security features have blocked saving the .pdf: (http://csna01.libredigital.com/)

Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008

by Peter DeBetta, Greg Low, and Mark Whitehorn

ISBN: 9780735625587

Thank you for registering!

You may now download the e-book.

There's also an interesting BUG in the "Microsoft Press Book Connection Newsletter" ... when I go back to my MS Press e-mail to get back to the on-line e-book, it takes me instead to an earlier e-book offering:

Programming Microsoft LINQ

Chapter 2: Using Expression Blend with Silverlight 2

Programming Microsoft® ASP.NET 3.5

by Dino Esposito

ISBN: 9780735625273

Chapter 3: Anatomy of an ASP.NET Page

Chapter 18: HTTP Handlers and Modules

Amazingly, the earlier e-book offering allowed saving of the .pdf files.

Fortunately for me, the security settings for "Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008" allowed printing ... rather than killing several trees, I printed my copy as a MS .XPS document so that I can read it off-line.

Another thing is unclear:  is the free book complete?  or is it excerpts.  My .XPS is 258 pages.

"Free e-book offer and Microsoft Press newsletter

This e-book includes excerpts from an upcoming publication from Microsoft Press:

• Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 by Peter DeBetta (ISBN: 9780735625587)

In this initial installment of the e-book,

learn about some of the major new features in SQL Server 2008, including security, administration, and performance.

After the book is published, the entire e-book will be available from this site, so come back and read more from expert Peter DeBetta."

Regards,

Gerry

_____________________________________________________________

Gerry Lowry, Principal

Ability Business Computer Services  ~~ Because it's your Business, our Experience Counts!

68 John W. Taylor Avenue

Alliston · Ontario · Canada · L9R 0E1

gerry.lowry@abilitybusinesscomputerservices.com

September 17, 2008 11:03 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Gerry,

You don't have to be online to read it. Try Ctrl-Shift-S while in the reader. It then saves it to a local copy.

And it does seem complete, not just an excerpt.

Regards,

Greg

September 17, 2008 4:57 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

Hi Greg

I never knew about Ctrl-Shift-S! What I did was print to PDF, so I made a PDF of the PDF. :-)

Thanks!

~Kalen

September 17, 2008 7:15 PM

Kalen Delaney said:

I was having a hard time downloading this yesterday also, and was frequently seeing the same thing Gerry was... I kept getting the other E-books displayed instead of this one.

But everything's ok now.

:-)

~Kalen

September 17, 2008 7:17 PM

poweruser said:

noobs. There's a save button on the toolbar. And you don't need to be online to view it.  Maybe you should fix your computer instead of writing long bogus posts.

September 18, 2008 1:15 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

Yep, I guess I'm just a noob.

There is no toolbar when the document is first opened. But because of your comment, I started playing around with all the buttons that were on the left, and somehow, I made a toolbar appear. I didn't know how at first, but I kept clicking around, and then figured it out.

F8 makes the toolbar appear and disappear.

:-)

September 18, 2008 2:17 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Kalen,

I think we're all in the noob camp on that. It was far from obvious to me too. You can only wonder why it doesn't open with a standard toolbar open by default.

Regards,

Greg

September 18, 2008 4:19 AM

Scott R. said:

Greg,

Many thanks for your efforts on the book.  I have downloaded it and started reading, and look forward to reading it from eCover to eCover!

All,

I agree it is a pain to figure out save options from menus or toolbars that are being "uncooperative".

You can always open the "Temporary Internet Files" folder in Windows Explorer to find PDF or other web-downloaded files and copy them to a more permanent folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

or wherever you may have reassigned the "Documents and Settings" folder.  I think it is called something different in Vista than in XP.

It can also help to sort the Windows Explorer view of the "Temporary Internet Files" folder by Last Access Date descending, to get the most recent files at the top of the list - easier to find them.

The only time I have seen this not work is occasionally when the web page requests the download as uncached.  Most of the time it works fine.  I have found it useful for non-streamed audio and video files, as well as PDFs - when there is not a direct option to "Save Target As..." or something similar.

Scott R.

September 18, 2008 9:24 AM

jerryhung said:

I don't feel noob now

I didn't see the toolbar (no Save button), darn

so I tried to print to CutePDF from the PDF, that crashed my computer

so next try, I open the PDF

then go to File -> Save As in my IE, and saves it as PDF no problem

File size is 10.3MB

now I know about F8 and Ctrl-Shift-S

I started reading it yesterday, it seemed complete and you don't need to be online

September 18, 2008 10:50 AM