Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Parallel Programming In TSQL: Is It In Our Future?

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, July 21, 2008 4:50 PM by Greg Low

Comments

jchang said:

I think it is inevitable that multi-threads style code will bleed into SQL. I do hope that future procs will be asymmetric, that is, a few really fast cores, and a great many slower cores.

In such a case, the SQL support could just be to hint the fast or slow cores. We do have parallelism within a query today, but I would like to see this extended to write operations.

Yes it is very difficult to learn to write effective MT C/C++, even C#. But my view is providing support to SQL be simpler.

Suppose we have a simple SQL script with multiple statements, A provision for providing a directive that certain statements can be executed in parallel is helpful. now I open multiple windows and execute each segment in its own windows. It might also be nice to pass a big chunk of data to a parallel processing engine, like a graphics chip, Larrabee or other

July 21, 2008 9:34 AM

Adam Machanic said:

"For languages like T-SQL, we don't have inherent support for multi-threading"

Yes, we do: parallelism.  It's just that it's declarative; we have little or no control over it (and little or no need to control it).  I can only assume that won't change much; perhaps a few more hints here and there, but by and large the query engine does a good job of controlling multithreading for us, and has been doing a good job for several years.

July 21, 2008 10:12 AM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

Greg, I think Oracle has been capable of running blocks of PL/SQL in parallel for quite a while already: DBMS_JOB and DBMS_PIPE can do it.

July 21, 2008 1:39 PM

Greg Low said:

Hi Adam,

I was thinking more along the lines of the lack of direct language support. What SQL Server does now is what I'd hope it'd do in the future. 99% of the time, I'd hope we don't need to specify how to parallelize our queries and that the engine does it for us.

Regards,

Greg

July 21, 2008 3:10 PM

Josef Richberg said:

I would like to see an option for parallelism in stored procedures.  I have many situations where the next X statments can be run parallel, but instead I have to wait for each block.  I am looking to SSIS and Service Broker to give me this ability.

July 21, 2008 8:56 PM