Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

SQL Server Reporting Services: Avoid T-SQL in Reports

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:32 PM by Greg Low

Comments

Rod Colledge said:

-- "Fortunately, the reports are typically located in a single location"

... unless you have users keen on using Report Builder to create and save custom reports on their desktop :-) To make the refactoring even more interesting, they base these reports on a report model whose definition needs to change.

Argh...

March 11, 2008 6:50 AM

Saggi Neumann said:

Multi-valued parameters are annoying when used with stored procedures.

Any chance SSRS 2008 will be able to use table value parameters?

March 11, 2008 7:22 AM

Greg Low said:

Agreed. I tend to use comma-delimited lists for these. No idea on support for TVPs in SSRS 2k8 but that's a good question. I'll ask.

March 11, 2008 7:39 AM

jeff m said:

Thank you for the post.

March 11, 2008 9:08 AM

jerryhung said:

Totally agree, I'd love to use SP for SSRS if it wasn't for the multi-valued parameter, and the frequent #temp table error during the report creation using wizard

If you use #temp inside the SP, the wizard won't let you run it, so I constantly to have put in a dummy query or the SP SELECT into the wizard, to generate the report first, then switch data source to SP after

March 11, 2008 9:29 AM

Brian H said:

jerryhung,

Although I don't use the wizard, I've had problems with stored procedures using temporary tables as sources for reports, until I found on a blog somewhere

SET FMTONLY OFF

Put that at the top of your procedure and temporary tables can even be the means of output.

On the subject of multi-valued parameters, I pass the demited list to a table-valued function that outputs it as a table. This can then be used as a table within the stored procedure, typically in a 'where variable in (select * from fncConvertMultiList(@DelimitedList))' clause.

March 16, 2008 7:02 AM

Greg Low said:

Great tip Brian !

March 16, 2008 3:42 PM

Sean Cooperman said:

Can we use a stored procedure in the report model? If we can do you recommend doing this or not?

Thanks

April 17, 2008 10:59 AM

Greg Low said:

Hi Sean,

Not in any way I know of as yet. The report model requires a dataview source and that is built over tables or views. I think it's a signficant limitation that it can't at least do non-parameterised sprocs.

A view is the closest you can currently do, even though it's not the same.

Regards,