Greg Low (The Bit Bucket: IDisposable)

Ramblings of Greg Low (SQL Server MVP, MCM and Microsoft RD) - SQL Down Under

Progress DBMS - three lessons for ISV's including collective deafness

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, February 25, 2008 10:04 AM by Greg Low

Comments

The Bit Bucket (Greg Low) said:

In a previous post , I mentioned lessons I learned from what I think Progress made mistakes at. However,

February 24, 2008 7:20 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

Hi Greg, about that time I was using DataFlex to develop custom database applications. They had all the same issues attempting to move to Windows. In the DOS world, DataFlex was great, but they jut couldn't make the leap to Windows very well.

February 24, 2008 9:35 PM

Greg Low said:

Hi Paul,

I dabbled with DataFlex on and off but ended up competing with it really well, using Progress. Progress offered a server-based data engine, both on Unix and DOS networks and had really strong reliability and integrity because of it.

Clients quickly learned that we didn't have a need for menu items that let them fix up the damage from systems that were powered off unexpectedly, etc. We also were mighty glad of it.

However, I always respected the rate at which DataFlex code could be written and the level of abstraction that the people developing with it worked at. FoxPro continued that tradition. I attended some local Fox conferences to present SQL Server sessions for those looking to migrate or work with it. I was always struck by two things at Fox conferences:

1. How totally passionate and committed their community was.

2. How aging their community was. There was little "young blood" coming into it.

Regards,

Greg

February 25, 2008 12:51 AM

joewebb0 said:

:) Ahhh....I haven't thought of Progress in years. I used Progress in the early nineties. I doubt I ever got close to level of depth that you did, Greg, but I remember regularly being frustrated with it. Sad too, seemed to have great promise.

Joe

February 25, 2008 9:37 AM

Geoff said:

Just out of curiousity, is the open-source PostgreSQL related to this in any way or are the names just similar?

February 26, 2008 11:48 AM