Erin Welker

SQL Server and Business Intelligence

Installing SQL Server 2005 on Vista

I sent this to our local user group when I installed Vista Ultimate on my new laptop a few months ago.  Yesterday, I did a quick search to see if this information was readily available and found that it still was not (at least not in one place), so I decided to post it here.  I hope it helps!

·       You must install SQL Server 2005 SP2.  I was able to successfully install RTM, then followed by SP2, but an attendee at our last user group meeting had no such luck.  One of our local Microsofties mentioned there is an SQL install that combines the core install of SQL with SP2.

·       OWC 11 component install fails.  This has a domino effect on the installation of most of the other SQL components.  You know, the important ones, like database services, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS.  The newsgroup solution was to uninstall OWC 11 through Add/Remove Programs.  This solution worked for me, as well.

·       IIS is required for Reporting Services.  Nothing new here, but the configuration of IIS was not as simple as I recall it on XP.  Be sure the following options are selected (Start --> Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off):

o   Web management tools

·         Default Document

·         Directory Browsing

·         HTTP Redirection

·         Static Content

§  Security

·         Windows Authentication

·       You must install Visual Studio SP1, then another patch for Vista.  I initially tried installing the patch for Vista first but it wanted SP1.  I was unable to run BIDS until I installed these.  Here are the download files (available for download at Microsoft.com):

o   VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU (VS SP1)

o   VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU (patch for Vista)

There was mention of having to turn off UAC at one of our user group meetings.  I did not have this issue.  During the install, I was asked if I wanted to be added to the sysadmin role during the SQL SP2 setup, because Builtin\Administrators is not automatically added to sysadmin like it used to be.

Published Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:18 PM by ErinW

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

I had to turn UAC off on two machines, but not on a third.  <shrug>

As for the slipstreamed install of RTM + SP2, I would really like to know where to get a hold of that.  It is something we have been screaming about for years!

January 17, 2008 10:19 AM

Larry said:

Why would you use UAC in a production environment to begin with??

March 29, 2008 3:31 AM

Christopher said:

Thank you!  This was very helpful after banging my head on the wall trying to figure this out!

June 3, 2008 4:28 PM

Baron said:

This was a very helpful article but one important thing it didn't mention that was important for me: you cannot install SQL Server 2005 Standard or Enterprise Edition on Vista Ultimate.  I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and tried installed SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition 32-bit.  It will only allow me to install developer and client tools, not the database services.  I found some other articles on the Internet that support this.  It appears I will have to install the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2005.

June 7, 2008 12:41 AM

Sherri said:

I am not having any luck at all.  I have tried installing the developer addition 5 times with various options.  One time it acted like it was adding me to the administrative group and the other time it gave me an error saying remote connection was not turned on.  The only way I know to do that is by right clicking on the server.  In database manager my server does not appear so I have nothing to click.  Any suggestions?  By the way what is owc 11?  It does not show up under my list of programs.

August 7, 2008 8:37 PM

David said:

FYI:  Trying to install SQL Server 2005 Tools only (no database) on Vista SP1. The install would not work until I removed the "Office 2003 Web Components" with add/remove programs; then it ran great.

August 26, 2008 4:02 PM

Beniam said:

You are awesome. Thanks Erin.

I needed to install SQL 64bit on Vista Ultimate.

Removing the OWC and the IIS settings were the root of the problem.  Installing developer edition was a breeze after that.

Thanks again!!!

April 22, 2009 1:43 PM

Seema Nayak said:

It is a nice Article,but i am facing some problem when i install SQL Server 2005.I am having Visa in my Laptop.I think i need to click x64-Based Operating System form my DVD.But when i click it is showing some script error. Can u pl suggest what should i do?

May 8, 2009 1:32 PM

SqlSortOfExpert said:

Your article is fine, but should say what Sql Server Version works in Vista, I guess only SQL Express.

July 15, 2009 2:39 PM

Venky said:

I have installed SQL server 2005 std edition on my new laptop (windows Vista) however the SQLSERVERAGENT service started and stopped during the installation. I have tried to start the service from surface configuration even then it failed. And when I tried to change the remote option to local system only it says Access Denied. Please guide me how to proceed.

October 21, 2009 5:45 AM

sandeep said:

i need a help.my laptop is build with vista service pack1

i installed sql express now i am trying to install sql server entreprise edition 2005

but its not allowing bcz it says 32 bit compaatability  required