Denis Gobo

SQL Server 2008 cannot be installed if you have Visual Studio 2008 RTM installed

Visual Studio 2008 does not support having both Visual Studio 2008 without a service pack and Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 installed on the same computer. Because certain SQL Server 2008 features install components that are also part of the release version of Visual Studio 2008 SP1, SQL Server 2008 requires Visual Studio 2008 with SP1. If Visual Studio 2008 without a service pack is installed instead, it may not work correctly after you install SQL Server 2008.

More about this in this knowledgebase article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139

There is also an item on connect submitted by Steve Kass: http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=360930

So I guess I have to wait till August 11th when VS 2008 goes RTM to install it. I don’t want to install VS 2008 SP1 Beta so close before RTM.

Update!

The KB article mentioned the following: For example, do not select the Analysis Services, Integration Services, or Business Intelligence Development Studio features.

Well I did that and I get the same validation error  :-(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Published Thursday, August 07, 2008 11:54 AM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

Chris Wood said:

I haven't had a chance to try the RTM version but the RC0 version needed net Framework 3.5 SP1 (beta) which included beta versions of Net Framework 2 SP2 and net Framework 3 SP2. Are these Net Framework SP's now out of beta or are they no longer needed by RTM?

Thanks

Chris

August 7, 2008 5:38 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Hi Chris,

The Framework *I believe* is final.  So if you have no need for Visual Studio, you should be able to install SQL Server 2008 now, and not need to update the framework itself next week.  However, if you have Visual Studio 2008 installed already, wait until next week, or uninstall it completely, before installing SQL Server 2008.

August 7, 2008 6:00 PM

Rush said:

I tried installing it today too and got the same error. What a tease! It did make me install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 but I thought it was still in beta? So does this mean it is final now? Looks like I will put it on a VM until VS2008 SP1 comes out.

August 8, 2008 1:41 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Rush,

The framework is final but VS 2008 SP1 RTM has not been released yet

Word on the street is that it will be on Monday

August 8, 2008 10:51 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Rush, the framework != Visual Studio.  SP1 for the framework seems to be ready, but SP1 for Visual Studio won't be out until next week from what I have heard.  If you tried to install SQL Server 2008 RTM and got the error about previous Visual Studio 2008 versions, this has nothing to do with the framework; you either have some separate piece of Visual Studio 2008 (with or without the VS 2008 SP1 beta), or you have some pre-existing Visual Studio artifacts (perhaps BIDS or something similar from a SQL Server 2008 RC or CTP, I am not sure which components exactly are going to block it).  I have been able to install SQL Server 2008 (with pretty much all components except Analysis Services) on machines where Visual Studio 2008 *had* existed, but where I removed it once I learned of the limitation.

August 8, 2008 10:56 AM

AaronBertrand said:

There is a more up-to-date set of release notes that has been made available.  See:

August 8, 2008 11:08 AM

Tibor Karaszi said:

You probably already know that SQL Server 2008 RTM'd (yesterday). You need to be careful when installing

August 8, 2008 11:29 AM

Turkey said:

thanks You.

Perfect you Docs.

August 9, 2008 3:09 AM

Paco Lozano said:

La solución es: ir a panel de control y desinstalar Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (integrated mode) ENU y ES.

Checar la instalación del Sql Server 2008 y listo, ya pasó.

Seguir con la instalación normal.

November 4, 2009 2:42 PM

David James said:

If you are trying to install SQL-2008 and you also have visual studio 2008 installed with service pack one (SP1) and get the error

“A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008”

Then welcome to the Microsoft beta testing program even if you purchased the faulty software.

With XP the must common solution seem to be renaming the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0

And replacing ‘9.0’ with ‘9.0Old’ however this does not solve the problem if you are using windows 7 and the only solution I managed to find that worked was to uninstall VS2008 and all the components and to then install SQL-2008 and finally reinstall VS2008.

July 22, 2011 9:09 AM

shashank said:

Dear Mr. Dennis Gobo,

I have seen your blog related to visual studio, it has come out very well. It has lot of information related to .net which is helpful to developers like us.

We recently developed a product called ‘Tremplin’. This tool will develop complete database application without involving you to write single line of code. I request you to write one article about our product and publish in your site. Since your site attracts lot of visitors, this will be of great help to us and intern we can offer one year free license to you.

You can also take complete 30 minute course about this product at

Please see this intro video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrbJ0HzcLZI

If you want more information you may visit www.erachana.net

Thanks and Regards