Denis Gobo

If you are upgrading from SQL Server 2000 to 2008 and you never touched SQL Server 2005, then I feel sorry for you

“I sense you skipped SQL Server 2005 in you...  Skipping SQL Server 2005 leads to a bigger learning curve...  A bigger learning curve leads to not knowing the product as well...Not knowing the product as well leads to suffering..Running in compatibility mode 8.0 is the path to the darkside.. SQL Server 2008 (mode 10.0) is the force...May the force be with you" --

So you decided to skip SQL Server 2005 and go straight to SQL Server 2008. You have some learning to do, let’s put this into perspective. SQL Server 2005 was so massive compared to SQL Server 2000 that it is almost like climbing Mount Everest. Going from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008 is like climbing Mount Everest but you start at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

2000 -> 2005 = Climb Mount Everest (8,848m/29,028ft).

2000 -> 2008 = Climb Mount Everest from the bottom of the Mariana Trench (19,748 metres, 64,788 ft) .

Not only do you have to deal with a complete rewrite of DTS and SSAS but SQL Server 2008 compared to SQL Server 2000 has so many enhancements to T-SQL that it is not funny. You will also have to deal with deprecated and dropped features for example *= and =* joins.

But it is not all bad; here are a couple of good things to consider (IMO).

If your developers know C# better than VB then they might pickup SSIS easier since in SQL Server 2008 SSIS supports C#.

If you work with spatial data then you have waited for a good reason.

Several new datatypes in 2008 which could make you app perform better (date instead of datetime, saves 5 bytes per row), Compression etc etc

There is a lot more of course, the merge statement is back, it was available in beta 2 of SQL Server 2005 but then got yanked.

I am just wondering how many of you are going straight from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008 without having any exposure to SQL Server 2005 at all? For some boxes I am going from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008 but we already also have SQL Server 2005 boxes running. The most challenging part for me was going from DTS to SSIS.

Now let's come back to that silly "I sense...." part at the beginning. A couple of year ago this was my sig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to fragmentation...  Fragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Fragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

I changed the sig because of this guy's answer here: http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39079

" I sense lack of friends in you"  if you think that was a funny statement think again.  Not all programmers created the mess they are in.  In most cases it's a matter of cleaning up the mess of others before them.  If you don't have anything positive to add then keep your comments to yourself.  If you would have read my post thoroughly you would have seen that your recommendation was pretty much useless.

"May you drop of the earth"—

What can you say to that? BTW this is not the only time; another person asked me how I knew his tables were fragmented.

Anyway enjoy the upgrade to SQL Server 2008, you won't be bored.  :-)

Published Wednesday, July 09, 2008 2:33 PM by Denis Gobo

Comments

Jason said:

I sense great conflict within you. Deprecation is of what I speak. ALTER INDEX is the the way of the force.

July 9, 2008 2:25 PM

Denis Gobo said:

LOL

Like I said the Sig is old......

July 9, 2008 2:29 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

You should uppercase the Force, as follows:

May the Force be with you.

July 9, 2008 2:54 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Alex, yes I should have used vbProperCase  :-)

July 9, 2008 2:58 PM

Brent Ozar said:

It's interesting - a lot of the companies I work with are still hanging back at SQL 2000 because it just works.  The time required to do a ton of upgrades doesn't pay off for them directly, so they're taking a very hands-off approach.  They're also not rewriting existing DTS packages - just leaving SQL 2000 servers up to continue to run those old packages, even as they migrate databases on up to 2005.  They're writing all new packages in SSIS, nothing new in DTS, but not putting in the migration time.  They just have such a tough time finding qualified DBAs that they can't justify the DTS migration time or the SQL upgrade time.

July 9, 2008 4:25 PM

Uri Dimant said:

Denis

You feel sorry for them, why? I think it makes perfect sense for some companies that are not upgraded yet to SQL Server 2005. I do not think that SQL Server 2005 is so massive compared to SQL Server 2008 as people will learn it as they have been learning SQL Server 2005. Most companies cannot afford migrating every two-three years juts because MS is releaising a new product EVERY THREE yeasrs.

So you will say if people do not touch SQL Server 2005/2008 they will lost on SQL Server 2011? I do not think so

One more reason  to skipp SQL Server 2005  is that it has few bugs that according to MS will be fixed only in SQL Server 2008 and release Hotfixes instead of workinng SP3 (as I heared finally will be released in Q4)

I agree with Steve Jones on his comments , I'm pretty sure  you have already read it

Finally I think it is time to start thinking towards the migrating to SQL Server 2008 as if you still use SQL Server 2000 as MS stoped supporting it since  April 8 this year.

July 10, 2008 12:22 AM

RickHeiges said:

While SQL 2000 is still the most prevalent version of SQL Server out there, almost every organization has at least one instance of SQL Server 2005 running.  I believe the SQL Server 2000 only crowd is very small. I agree with Denis that if you have not touched 2005, there is a big learning curve, but think of all of the learning resources and experiences that you could benefit from now.  There are dozens of webcasts. whitepapers, forums, blogs, etc. that may be leveraged now that was not available 3 years ago when 2005 initially RTM'd.

July 10, 2008 8:15 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Uri, I meant that I feel sorry for developers who work in shops where there are no SQL 2005 boxes at all at the moment and they decided to upgrade to 2008 because mainstream support is over for 2000 or whatever the reason might be

Compared to going from 6.5 to 2000 it is a much bigger learning curve in my opinion

I also agree with Rick that there are a lot of 2008 resources available for example the 2008 newsgroups here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=428&SiteID=1

But still people need to get involved, I remember when we upgraded from 7 to 2000, I could have counted the 'new' things on 2 hands and it was not a big deal at all

Converting DTS packages to SSIS is not a lot of fun either, but like with everything else the more you do it the better you get at it

July 10, 2008 9:10 AM

jchang said:

if you are on SQL 2000 now, ie, no experience on SQL 2005, then I don't see that there is a difference between migrating direct to 2008 versus through 2005,

either way, you will have to learn all the things that are different.

July 10, 2008 2:08 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Joe, the difference is if you have some 2005 experience you are quite a bit ahead of the developer who does not (and who gets 2000 ripped out from under them).

July 10, 2008 3:11 PM

WayBehindtheTimes said:

Not a great solution but those DTS packages can be run on SQL 2005.  It's not pretty but can allow you to get to 2005 and convert hundreds of DTS -> SSIS as time permits.  Been there, done that.

February 5, 2009 12:05 AM

Mohan said:

Hey,

great information, please help me out, we are doing database upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 and iam a tester. please help me what i need to test as a tester while upgrading database from 2000- 2008.

If you have any check list or documents please help me.

My email id is patwarimk@yahoo.com

Thanks,

mohan

February 26, 2010 5:43 PM

didi said:

hi there, i just want to try install sql server 2008 in windows xp with 1.5 Gb RAM. can i i do that???

August 21, 2011 7:59 AM

alex said:

well for what purpose? as a student just learning SQL Server, I was able to install it just fine on and older box running XP.

October 20, 2011 9:50 AM

Jagdish said:

I need to Migrate from SQL server 2000 to SQL Server 2008 standard R2 version.

I would required your expertise on this issue.Pls provide the checklist or any other tips , suggestion for this task.

My Email id is : Jagdish122@gmail.com

Thanks is Advance.....

May 17, 2012 10:45 AM

SenthilKumar S.M said:

in our project we are using sql server 2000 databases and we are planning to move to sql server 2008

can you tell me waht are the specific issues should i face?

June 26, 2012 3:15 AM

RonnieP611 said:

Great discussion, I'm also having headaches either upgrading my SQL2000 to 2008.  Main concern is the price of the licenses.  But would it be possible to email me any suggestions that I need to know if I decided to do the upgrade.  Email me at ronniep611@gmail.com

Ronnie