Denis Gobo

Poll: How Often Do You Reboot Your SQL Server

How often do you reboot your SQL Server? In general we don't reboot, the only time I can remember is when the box needs to be patched. So when you do reboot, do you first fail over to the other instance (if you have a cluster) or do you have a hot standby box?

Leave a comment, I am interested in the frequency of reboots.

Published Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:47 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

Before we obtained a specific hotfix, we needed to reboot one of our clusters once a week.  It had a shelf life of about 9 days before we would start experiencing severe problems that would interrupt typical usage for our customers.  We had a maintenance window every Sunday, and we used this to fail over and fail back (back then we had one node that was "more reliable" than the other, so we used it primarily).

Other than that, only for patches/service packs/windows updates.  We just reboot the active node and let failover happen on its own.  Then repeat the process on the other node, if necessary, depending on the type of update being performed.

June 4, 2008 3:56 PM

Josh Jones said:

I've been in the same boat as the post above as far as clusters...we had to reboot it about once a week (I think with 2005 we got it to twice a month). For us, using either node was ok, so we just did a failover when needed. During patching, we did both boxes in the same night, allowing the failovers to happen naturally.

In my current environment, we have no clusters (small shop). However, we ONLY reboot during patch/hotfix installations. Otherwise, they stay up the rest of the time no problem (these are all SQL 2005 on HP Intel x64 boxes).

June 4, 2008 4:01 PM

Chris Wood said:

We have our monthly patch window with our clusters being patched on one side then failing over to the other and then patching that node.

With a flurry of development work recently we have to reboot more often than the once a month for patches. These are mostly SQL2005 post SP2 running on W2K3 SP2.

Chris

June 4, 2008 4:32 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Josh, I sure wish I could convince management to splurge on some 64-bit hardware.  I think we will be in the dark ages for some time to come.  :-(

June 4, 2008 5:23 PM

Jeff said:

I am pretty much with you, we don't reboot unless there is some patch that requires it. We have gone up to 4 months without rebooting then along comes a patch that requires it. If a Patch didn't require it then we would probably reboot a lot less.

June 5, 2008 8:15 AM

Zack Jones said:

We reboot when patching requires it, otherwise we leave it up and running.

June 5, 2008 8:19 AM

D. Fisher said:

We reboot our SQL Server 2000 server four times a week.  We had some problems with SQL Server that is why we reboot the server that often.  It doesnt really disrupt our work schedule since it happens late at night via a scheduled task.

June 5, 2008 8:39 AM

jerryhung said:

No reboot here, we don't patch as often either

Which is always good and bad

good - less chance of server not working properly after reboot

good - no downtime

bad - I still believe reboot cleans up a lot of garbage in memory, no matter how good SQL2005 is. Blame it on MSFT

June 5, 2008 10:14 AM

sql_noob said:

when we went to sql 2005 x64 on a cluster i thought it may mean 5 9's. but no.

there are always windows updates, sql patches, weird driver issues, and some unplanned things that happen. we average once a month or so on average.

someone i know who works for a major retailer said that they used to reboot all servers every friday. we have NT4 servers here that get rebooted once every few years

June 5, 2008 1:40 PM

Sun Tzu said:

I never shut down my server.

Oh wait, did you say MSSQL or MySQL?

June 6, 2008 7:41 AM

Karel Bertin said:

we own dozens of servers, all running enterprise edition. we only reboot for sql server service packs, windows server service packs, and inplace memory upgrades (rare). We usually wait months after the service pack is available.

June 11, 2008 6:45 PM