Denis Gobo

What Would You Like To Ask Erland Sommarskog?

In the Who do you want to see interviewed next? blog post I asked for some names of people who YOU would like to see interviewed. Erland Sommarskog's name was submitted in comments a couple of times. I contacted Erland and am happy to anounce that he has agreed to do this.

The first time I heard of Erland Sommarskog was in the SQL Server programming newsgroups. I also read all the articles on his site. When I answer questions I usually give the link out to these 4 articles

Arrays and Lists in SQL Server

Implementing Error Handling with Stored Procedures

Error Handling in SQL Server – a Background

and of course The curse and blessings of dynamic SQL

And from Hugo's comment Dynamic Search Conditions and How to share data between stored procedures

I always wondered why he didn't write a SQL book. Hey, now I can ask him that  :-)

Before you think of any questions please visit Erland's page first (http://www.sommarskog.se/index.html) and read some of the articles he wrote.

You can submit questions until Monday May 12th and then I will forward the questions to Erland.

Published Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:39 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

Adam Machanic said:

I would like you to ask him why he doesn't want to blog here on SQLblog.com :-)

May 6, 2008 3:57 PM

steve dassin said:

AM said:

>I would like you to ask him why he doesn't want to blog here on SQLblog.com :-)

I am still waiting for my invite, I'm sure it's an oversight :-)

May 6, 2008 8:10 PM

Hugo Kornelis said:

Hi Denis,

So why don't you give out the link to the dynamic search article? Or to the one on sharing data?

They are just as great as the other four you mention!!

Best, Hugo

May 7, 2008 3:10 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Hugo,

I have added the 2 links you mentioned, the reason I had 4 links initially is because I linked to his homesite as well and if I linked to every article then there would be nothing new there to find. But I agree all the articles are great.

May 7, 2008 7:19 AM

Alejandro Mesa said:

Hi Dennis,

> I always wondered why he didn't write a SQL book. Hey, now I

> can ask him that  :-)

I did ask him that question, the first time a met him, during the 2007 MVP summit. I will not tell you what the answer was, but I can tell you that I admire him not only for his knowledge about SQL Server, also because of his willingness to share it with the community.

AMB

May 7, 2008 10:10 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Alejandro,

If you look at his long résumé on his site http://www.sommarskog.se/about_me.html

I think you can find the answer below "Other merits"

Does that match what he told you?

May 7, 2008 10:22 AM

RickHeiges said:

How many variants of his name have been offered?  James L. has a long list of mispronounciations.  I bet that Erland has some beauties too - especially from the states.

May 7, 2008 12:49 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Time is almost up; this is the last chance to submit your questions to Erland Sommarskog and Craig Freedman

May 12, 2008 10:52 AM

Madhivanan said:

I want to ask him

"Which feature of SQL Server(in any version) do you like most?"

May 13, 2008 4:24 AM