Denis Gobo

SQL Champ - A Quiz to Prove Your SQL Knowlege

In case you are bored CodeProject has a small SQL test (7 questions)

Take the test here: SQL Champ - A Quiz to Prove Your SQL Knowledge

And did you get everything correct?

And yes they wrote Knowlege instead of Knowledge  :-)

Published Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:15 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

andyleonard said:

That's cool Denis. Wouldn't you know it - I missed the one on SQLCLR.

:{> Andy

April 2, 2008 7:38 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Fun :-)

The answer to the question on Database Snapshots is wrong, according to Ron Talmage.  Apparently he and the SQLCAT team tested under intense load and saw times when creating the snapshot could take hours...

April 2, 2008 9:46 AM

Alex Kuznetsov said:

Nice link Denis. Yet (as you know that we disagree on many things ;) ) I would not allow the following code in production:

cast(floor(cast(@MyDateTime as float)) as datetime)

I would use dateadd and datediff instead. I don't think such tricks with cast, floor, and datetime are relevant to writing production quality code. What do you think?

April 2, 2008 11:38 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Alex I agree, instead of

select cast(floor(cast(getdate() as float)) as datetime)

I would do

select dateadd(dd, datediff(dd, 0, getdate())+0, 0)

April 2, 2008 11:53 AM

Kalen Delaney said:

I would also take issue with the answer to the question on snapshots. The missing element is that SQL Server runs recovery on the snapshot so that all the data available through the snapshot is committed data. If you create a snapshot while the db is in the middle of (or not quite done with) some long transactions, it can take a long time to run recovery.

~Kalen