Welcome to - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |

Denis Gobo

33 New Dynamic Management Views In SQL Server 2008

I was just poking around in SQL Server 2008 and wanted to know if there were any new Dynamic Management Views. There are a total of 33 new Dynamic Management Views. The list of them is below, I think their names make clear what the dmv is supposed to do (or at least I think I know)

If you want to find out what the names of all the new DMVs are by running a query on your SQL Server 2008 box and you don't have a linked server to a SQL Server 2005 box then don't worry I have prepared the query below for you.

SELECT * FROM sysobjects
WHERE name LIKE 'dm_%'
AND name NOT IN('dm_os_hosts',

Enjoy exploring these DMVs

I also did a reverse query and all the DMVs that were in SQL Server 2005 are also in SQL Server 2008, none were dropped

I wonder if they will add more DMVs once the product is feature complete?

I also wonder if the good doctor Louis will include these in his DMV book?

Published Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:31 PM by Denis Gobo

AaronBertrand said:

The next step would be to compare the column lists for views that exist in both versions.  Some of the DMVs in 2005 have new columns in 2008, or at least they did in earlier CTPs (haven't checked the most recent builds).

February 6, 2008 4:15 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Coming up sometimes this weekend

February 6, 2008 4:30 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Sorry, I hope you didn't interpret my comment as a command!  I would have done it already if I weren't on a Mac and on a train.  :-)

February 6, 2008 5:56 PM

Denis Gobo said:

So are you blaming the Mac or the Train?  :-()

If I don't see a post by Saturday afternoon then I will take care of it  ;-)

February 6, 2008 6:34 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Um, both?  :-)

I am trying to post the results but I am having a hard time publishing.  I can't blame the train this time.  :-)

February 7, 2008 8:58 AM

Aaron Bertrand said:

Yesterday Denis Gobo told you about 33 new DMVs in SQL Server 2008 ; previously, I had noticed that a

February 7, 2008 11:37 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Okay, I got it working. CS barfs on [name], whoops!

February 7, 2008 11:45 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Remember the 33 new DMVs in SQL Server 2008 post? I was just poking around in SQL Server 2008 CTP6 and

February 21, 2008 3:10 PM

Mohamed Hassan said:

There is a change of  sys.dm_os_sys_info in sql 2008 , and the disappearance the column "cpu_ticks_in_ms" (Number of CPU ticks in milliseconds).

So prformance dashboard reports is not working.

Is there a correspondence column for it

August 27, 2008 7:39 AM

About Denis Gobo

I was born in Croatia in 1970, when I was one I moved to Amsterdam (and yes Ajax is THE team in Holland) and finally in 1993 I came to the US. I have lived in New York City for a bunch of years and currently live in Princeton, New Jersey with my wife and 3 kids. I work for Dow Jones as a Database architect in the indexes department, one drawback: since our data goes back all the way to May 1896 I cannot use smalldates ;-( I have been working with SQL server since version 6.5 and compared to all the other bloggers here I am a n00b. Some of you might know me from or even from some of the newsgroups where I go by the name Denis the SQL Menace If you are a Tek-Tips user then you might know me by the name SQLDenis, I am one of the guys answering SQL Questions in the SQL Programming forum.