Denis Gobo

Some Very Sad News For The SQL Server Community

Ken Henderson passed away this last Sunday. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and coworkers. I owe so much to Ken, if it wasn't for his books I would not be where I am today.

Ken, You will be missed.

Published Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:02 AM by Denis Gobo

Comments

andyleonard said:

This is sad news indeed. Mr. Henderson challenged and inspired me in writing, speaking, and - a couple times - in person to become a better database and software professional. He did the same for many others. His family, friends, coworkers, and indeed our community miss him - and are in our prayers.

:{< Andy

January 29, 2008 8:53 AM

Kevin3NF said:

Ouch.  Best high-level lecture without losing the audience I ever attended...

Nice guy too, from my interactions with him at MS when I was briefly there :(

January 29, 2008 10:36 AM

Sri Sridharan said:

Very sad. Simply stunned. No words to describe.

January 29, 2008 11:12 AM

roman said:

OMG, this is shocking. I attended the session is Denver last September where Kevin Kline interviewed him, where he admitted he went to work for MS to have access to SQL Server source code. Great guy too, extremely accomplished, yet very humble.

Very sad for his family and a great loss for the SQL Server community. He wrote guru-level books but I also liked reading his non-technical stuff. The essays in his books were great too, especially his response to Microsoft bashers.

January 29, 2008 11:16 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Roman,

Some of my favorite parts of  Ken's books was the part about behavior in newsgroups from the 3rd book and the Essays on Software Engineering from book 2. I don't even need to mentioned all the cool procs and code from all three of the books (including the undocumented stuff of course, parameter sniffing)

January 29, 2008 12:21 PM

Jay Dave said:

His books are always my mentor & after meeting him in Dallas, i was happy to see a such a good & humble person.

January 29, 2008 12:35 PM

Paul Hunter said:

This is very sad news.  The SQL Server community has lost a very valuable member.  I'm simply stunned.

My deepest sympathy to his family.

January 29, 2008 1:22 PM

Vikram said:

This is pure shock. I attended his lecture in Denver last year and was pretty straightforward in his answers. His Guru's guide has been very inspiring. My prayers are with his family in this troubled time.

January 29, 2008 6:43 PM

Sankar Reddy said:

Ken's books have helped to become what I am doing today. I am thankful to him and I know he will be remembered for ever by a lot of people.

January 29, 2008 6:54 PM

david wei said:

I am so shocked. I am waiting for his 2nd edition of "The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Architecture and Internals"  ...

January 29, 2008 7:30 PM