Denis Gobo

Surface Area Configuration Tool Is Discontinued, SQL-DMO Removed from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express

Just reading the readme file in SQL Server 2008 November CTP. I noticed that in addition to SQL Server Notification Services the following two things are also being removed.

SQL-DMO Removed from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express

Surface Area Configuration Tool Is Discontinued

The Surface Area Configuration Tool is discontinued for SQL Server 2008. The following table shows what you can use to configure settings, options, and component features in the November CTP.

Settings and component features

How to configure

Protocols, and connection and startup options

Use SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Database Engine features

Use Declarative Management Framework.

SSAS features

Use the property settings in SQL Server Management Studio.

SSRS features

Edit the RSReportServer.config configuration file.

Published Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:47 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

Tom Cubbins said:

Hi Denis Gobo,

I am trying to install the SQL Server 2008, but I

am coming up on the issue which the Surface Area Configuration available

with SQL Server 2005 would solve.

I need to allow remote connections / or any connection to the server.

I simply do not know where to start with the Declarative Management

Framework.   It seems I would need to use the SQL Management Studio

to begin to configure with the Declaration Management, but I can not

open any connection.

That's my problem.  Do you know of a solution.

Tom Cubbins

cubbins@hotmail.com

December 2, 2007 12:06 AM

Brandon Bradford said:

Tom, U need to right click on the sever instance go to properties and make sure " allow remote connections is ticked.

Then you need to go the the SQL server configuration manager and enable the protocals you wish to use for the server and client.

Also make sure that the SQL serrver browser is started in the SQL server services node.

If you still have problems turn of your desktop firewall.

January 7, 2009 2:35 PM

Brandon Bradford said:

Forgot to mension a good idea is to restart the computer, to make sure the services are restarted and the new settings are applied.

January 8, 2009 5:35 PM

Icheron said:

Hi Denis,

I'm trying have a strored procedure in sqlserver 2008 that uses the xp-cmdshell.

sins the surface area counfiguration is discontinued in this fersion I tried to script in with the following:

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'xp-cmdshell', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 0

GO

I get an error like this:

The configuration option 'xp-cmdshell' does not exist, or it may be an advanced option.

Any ideas?

En...ja Ajax is de beste.

Please let me know.

February 18, 2009 7:38 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Icheron,the dash - needs to be an underscore _ like this

EXECUTE SP_CONFIGURE 'show advanced options', 1

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

EXECUTE SP_CONFIGURE 'xp_cmdshell', '1'

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

EXECUTE SP_CONFIGURE 'show advanced options', 0

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

February 18, 2009 8:19 AM

Rod said:

Hi Denis,

Thanks for this information.  Rod

July 2, 2009 2:10 AM

Denise said:

Where do I need to get to in dos to execute this command?

I have the same problem with needing to enable xp_cmdshell

December 16, 2009 9:40 AM

Hodgii said:

Thanks for the info guys!

April 2, 2010 8:37 PM

M. Mia said:

Right click on the Server instance,Select Facets, from the top drop down select Surface are configuration and enable the last option setting to True

For more information visit the following lick

Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms161956.aspx

May 10, 2011 11:05 AM

shweta said:

hi ,My Sql 2008 Express is unable to get connected from other sql server 2008 ,Please help out

November 26, 2013 4:11 AM