Denis Gobo

SQL Teaser: Printing Without Using PRINT

Print the @SQL variable without using PRINT

DECLARE @SQL varchar(49)

SELECT @SQL = 'Print This Now ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(30), GETDATE())

--Your Code Here

Published Friday, November 09, 2007 1:59 PM by Denis Gobo
Filed under:

Comments

Matt said:

SELECT @SQL

November 9, 2007 1:36 PM

Vern Rabe said:

How about:

RAISERROR (@SQL, 10,1) WITH NOWAIT;

November 9, 2007 1:37 PM

Denis Gobo said:

yep, RAISERROR will do it

November 9, 2007 1:41 PM

Linchi Shea said:

I guess that depends on what you meant by 'Printing without using PRINT".

If you mean doing what exactly the same as appears to the client code, PRINT and RAISERROR are very different if you are using DB Library. One is handled through a message handler and the other through a error handler. If you are talking about presenting the same message to the end user, then anything that returns a sting back to the client code will do.

November 10, 2007 9:01 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Linchi,

I meant running it in QA/SSMS and getting the same result as using print without using print. I guess I should have been clearer (I am like a business requirement lately....not clear at all)  ;-(

November 10, 2007 9:38 AM

David R Buckingham said:

I use RAISERROR( @SQL, 0, 1 ) WITH NOWAIT a lot, particularly if I want output from inside a transaction regardless of whether it commits or rolls back.  Just be careful of overuse since it immediately transmits to the client.

November 12, 2007 9:19 AM