Denis Gobo

Summer SQL Teaser #4 Nulls and Counts

First create this table

CREATE TABLE Teaser (ID int)
INSERT Teaser VALUES(1)
INSERT Teaser VALUES(2)
INSERT Teaser VALUES(1)
INSERT Teaser VALUES(2)
INSERT Teaser VALUES(NULL)

Without running this try to figure out what the result will be

SELECT COUNT(*),
COUNT(ID),
COUNT(DISTINCT ID)
FROM Teaser

For some more NULL summer fun you can read NULL Trouble In SQL Server Land
Published Friday, June 22, 2007 10:45 AM by Denis Gobo

Comments

Peter W. DeBetta said:

That was too easy... :-)

My guess (that was correct) was - hmmm, that wouldn't be fun for anyone else reading this, so I'll give the base 2 representation of the ASCII values of my results:

110101, 110100, 110010

June 22, 2007 10:42 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Yeah it is not difficult....however a lot of people still trip up on the COUNT(ID)

Next week I will come up with something which is not as easy

June 22, 2007 10:50 AM

Adam Machanic said:

I was hoping for some twist with the DISTINCT :)

June 22, 2007 11:27 AM

Denis Gobo said:

yeah I tried to do DISTINCT * bit it didn't work  ;-(

June 22, 2007 11:34 AM

Bart said:

Next time create it as a #temp table or a @table variable, this way the code can just be copied and pasted to try out AND forgotten about.

June 24, 2007 2:35 PM

Denis Gobo said:

How about this one

SELECT COUNT(*),

COUNT(ID),

COUNT(DISTINCT ID) ,

COUNT(ALL ID)

FROM Teaser

WHERE ID >= ANY(SELECT 1)

AND ID <= ALL(SELECT 1)

AND ID <> SOME(SELECT 2)

I know I know I am being silly  ;-)

June 25, 2007 3:22 PM

steve smith said:

Interestingly enough, in SQL 7, the first value matches the second value, because the rules regarding nulls changed.

June 27, 2007 2:08 PM