Davide Mauri

A place for my thoughts and experiences the Microsoft Data Platform

Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer on a Stand-Alone machine

As soon as the shiny new SQL Server 2008 R2 BPA has been released, I’ve downloaded it and tried to install it immediatly on my Virtual Machine, which is not joined to any domain.

Unfortunately I had a bad surprise, since the installation failed with a very anonymous error. Some more detailed error appears in a pop-up console, but it closes just too fast to be read. Armed with patience and Camtasia, I recorded the installation and found the error:

image

I’ve tried to run the command manually (using an Administrative account), but still no luck. After having reported the error, Adam Saxton came to the rescue :

So, to summarize, if you want to install in a stand-alone machine, do the following:

1. Open a PowerShell 2.0 command prompt, using an administrative account
  2. Enable Powershell Remoting using the command Enable-PSRemoting
  3. Launch BPA installation using the command msiexec /i "SQL2008R2BPA_Setup64.msi" SKIPCA=1

Done :-)

UPDATE

You can find a detailed post on possibile installation errors (and their resolution) here:

PS

You can find Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer here

and the required Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2.0 here

Published Monday, June 21, 2010 4:10 PM by Davide Mauri

Comments

sqlartist said:

You are a lifesaver - I sent a tweet to sqlhelp the day the BPA was released and didnt hear anything. Finally :) Thanks

June 27, 2010 2:15 PM

dugi said:

Davide,

Thanks for the notice it works very nice!

June 29, 2010 8:51 AM

Nick Duckstein said:

All that installs for me is the help file, regardless of whether I use the procedure above or now. This is happening on two different machines so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with machine privileges. I am a local admin on both workstation and sysadmin in SQL Server on both default instances.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

May 24, 2011 2:22 PM

Davide Mauri said:

Hi Nick..I'm sorry I never faced such situation so don't have any idea on what's happening...

May 30, 2011 7:06 AM

alex said:

great men ;) it's work. thanks

July 16, 2013 10:33 AM

Gahan Zwart said:

This worked flawlessly! Thank you Davide, very much.

November 18, 2013 6:09 AM

About Davide Mauri

Director of Software Development & Cloud Infrastructure @ Sensoria, an innovative smart garments and wearable company. After more than 15 year playing with the Microsoft Data Platform, with a specific focus on High Performance databases, Business Intelligence, Data Science and Data Architectures, he's now applying all his skills to IoT, defining architectures to crunch numbers, create nice user experiences and provide meaningful insights, all leveraging Microsoft Azure cloud. MVP on Data Platform since 2006 he has a very strong background development and love both the ER model and OO principles. He is also a fan of Agile Methodology and Automation, which he tries to apply everywhere he can, to make sure that "people think, machines do".