Davide Mauri

A place for my thoughts and experiences on SQL Server, Business Intelligence and .NET

Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer on a Stand-Alone machine

As soon as the shiny new SQL Server 2008 R2 BPA has been released, I’ve downloaded it and tried to install it immediatly on my Virtual Machine, which is not joined to any domain.

Unfortunately I had a bad surprise, since the installation failed with a very anonymous error. Some more detailed error appears in a pop-up console, but it closes just too fast to be read. Armed with patience and Camtasia, I recorded the installation and found the error:

image

I’ve tried to run the command manually (using an Administrative account), but still no luck. After having reported the error, Adam Saxton came to the rescue :

So, to summarize, if you want to install in a stand-alone machine, do the following:

1. Open a PowerShell 2.0 command prompt, using an administrative account
  2. Enable Powershell Remoting using the command Enable-PSRemoting
  3. Launch BPA installation using the command msiexec /i "SQL2008R2BPA_Setup64.msi" SKIPCA=1

Done :-)

UPDATE

You can find a detailed post on possibile installation errors (and their resolution) here:

PS

You can find Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Best Practices Analyzer here

and the required Microsoft Baseline Configuration Analyzer 2.0 here

Published Monday, June 21, 2010 4:10 PM by Davide Mauri

Comments

sqlartist said:

You are a lifesaver - I sent a tweet to sqlhelp the day the BPA was released and didnt hear anything. Finally :) Thanks

June 27, 2010 2:15 PM

dugi said:

Davide,

Thanks for the notice it works very nice!

June 29, 2010 8:51 AM

Nick Duckstein said:

All that installs for me is the help file, regardless of whether I use the procedure above or now. This is happening on two different machines so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with machine privileges. I am a local admin on both workstation and sysadmin in SQL Server on both default instances.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

May 24, 2011 2:22 PM

Davide Mauri said:

Hi Nick..I'm sorry I never faced such situation so don't have any idea on what's happening...

May 30, 2011 7:06 AM

alex said:

great men ;) it's work. thanks

July 16, 2013 10:33 AM

Gahan Zwart said:

This worked flawlessly! Thank you Davide, very much.

November 18, 2013 6:09 AM

About Davide Mauri

Davide Mauri - MCP, MCAD, MCDBA, MCT, MVP on SQL Server - has worked with SQL Server since version 6.5, and his interests cover the whole platform, from the Relational Engine to Analysis Services, from architecture definition to performance tuning. He also has a strong knowledge of XML, .NET and the Object Oriented Design principles, which allows him to have the correct vision and experience to handle development of complex business intelligence solutions. Having worked as a Microsoft Certified Teacher for many years, Davide is able to pass all his knowledge to his co-workers, allowing his team to deliver high-quality solutions. He currently works as a Mentor for SolidQ and can be found speaking in many Italian and internationals events.