Davide Mauri

A place for my thoughts and experiences the Microsoft Data Platform

Agile BI Development: QueryUnit is born!

Having a developer background I’m used to work trying to apply an Agile approach to projects. In these last years I focused my work primary on BI projects, and so I tried to apply an Agile approach also to them, since I really believe that Agile is the path to follow.

While Agile methods in the classic Object-Oriented field are quite widespread nowadays, in the BI field they are basically totally unknown to masses (at least this is my experience). Of course this means also that there is a total lack of tools and instruments to properly adopt Agile in your approach.

Unit-Testing is surely something that is absolutely necessary if you want or need to refactor a solution. Since now, to unit-test staging databases, datawarehouses and cubes was a pain. I needed a tool to automate everything. I searched on the web but I found nothing I really liked. So I started to wrote something by myself.

The first release is more a proof of concept that anything else, but I’ve started to use it in current BI project I’m working one with a lot of satisfaction. Now each time I change something in DWH or Cube I can automatically tests hundreds of queries. If all lights are green I can ask the customer to test the new implementation being sure that all existing reports, cubes, queries and so no will still be working perfectly. Otherwise I have some more work to do [:)].

Here’s a  sample screenshot:

clip_image001

As you can see I’m using NUnit as Unit-Testing framework. It will allow to test SQL and MDX queries stored into an XML file, so that no .NET coding is required.

I’m going to release this first release ASAP, hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I am doing, and that you start to embrace Agile also in the DB field, if you’re not already with it. :)

Published Monday, July 27, 2009 7:29 PM by Davide Mauri

Comments

Frank Kearney said:

This looks awesome! Will you be relasing a version of this on Codeplex.com?

July 27, 2009 1:24 PM

Davide Mauri said:

@Frank

Surely! I'm waiting for an answer from CodePlex guys for a licensing question, then I'll publish the initial source code.

I'll be leaving for vacantion by the end of this month, I hope to be able to release something before that endline, otherwise I'll surely do in September.

July 27, 2009 3:11 PM

SQLguy said:

Hello David,

This looks excellent!!! can't wait to get my hand on it!!

July 28, 2009 6:12 AM

NTulip said:

Awesome! Any update on the source code?

July 28, 2009 5:43 PM

Davide Mauri said:

I’ve released the source code of QueryUnit . As usual the project is hosted on Codeplex: http://queryunit.codeplex.com/

July 30, 2009 9:55 AM

Bjarki Már said:

Nice. will try it when you release it.

July 30, 2009 7:53 PM

About Davide Mauri

Director of Software Development & Cloud Infrastructure @ Sensoria, an innovative smart garments and wearable company. After more than 15 year playing with the Microsoft Data Platform, with a specific focus on High Performance databases, Business Intelligence, Data Science and Data Architectures, he's now applying all his skills to IoT, defining architectures to crunch numbers, create nice user experiences and provide meaningful insights, all leveraging Microsoft Azure cloud. MVP on Data Platform since 2006 he has a very strong background development and love both the ER model and OO principles. He is also a fan of Agile Methodology and Automation, which he tries to apply everywhere he can, to make sure that "people think, machines do".