Ben Miller

Long time SQL Cluster issue resurfaced

It is interesting as time goes on, what things are found by others that have already been reported, but seem to be ignored.  SQL 2005 Clustering issue with lower case servernames is the topic of this post.

I attended a Clustering Class by Russ Kaufmann and during the class I illustrated to him a problem that we had in installing a Windows 2003 Cluster with SQL 2005.  This issue was if you had your physical server name in lowercase, when you installed SQL 2005, it would fail and rollback (partially at that time) the entire install.  I went round and round with a Connect Item and could not get Microsoft to repro this, even though I had reproduced this on demand many, many times.

Now I find this post from Tara Kizer on SQLTeam.com blogs.  This post illustrates that when physical servernames are in lowercase there is an issue with the install.  I also found the reference to this post by Microsoft PSS illustrating the problem as well.

Now the only difference is that my issue was reported in 2007 and these posts are from 2009.  Also my Operating System was Windows 2003 R2 and this is referencing Windows 2008 Server.  It is still amazing that this is not fixed in Windows 2008, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Published Monday, January 11, 2010 9:54 AM by dbaduck
Filed under: ,

Comments

AaronBertrand said:

Hey Ben, is there a straightforward way to determine whether the resource database is patched the same as the rest of the instance (which Tara indicated was a symptom of the problem)?  The reason I ask is that I've had several cases where I ran a service pack or CU install, and the install failed according to setup and the logs, but @@VERSION was updated correctly.  My feeling is that if there isn't some easy way to verify that the patch really succeeded across the board, there should be.

January 11, 2010 1:28 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Never mind, I should read first, then speak:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ResourceVersion');

January 11, 2010 1:30 PM

dbaduck said:

I know that, but this issue is showing up, and I was just illustrating that there was a long time issue with lowercase servernames, and it is still around, even after a Connect issue filed and unresolved in 2007.

But it was a good article and before I update my SP on my cluster, I will be checking the resource version.

Thanks Aaron.

January 11, 2010 1:47 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Should be fixed, totally agree.  Otherwise seems like 1970 all over again.

January 11, 2010 3:12 PM

Tara said:

Hi Ben, I should have mentioned in my blog article that the PSS engineer did find your Connect item that showed the problem existed in 2003 and had not been corrected in 2008.  It's very unfortunate that they do not spend the time to correct bugs like these as we burned a few hours on it which could have been easily avoided.  If it is too hard to fix the Resource database issue, then the OS should automatically upper case the server name for us.

~Tara Kizer

January 11, 2010 4:34 PM

dbaduck said:

Thanks Tara.  I am glad that they found the item, as nothing was done with it from the external side of things.

Thanks for all the good stuff you provide too.

January 11, 2010 6:01 PM