Arnie Rowland

Discussion of issues related to SQL Server, the MSDN SQL Support Forums, the complex interplay between Developers and SQL Server Administrators, and our sometimes futile attempts to have a 'normal' life.

Project Phoenix: May we have the July awards please ...

The first two developers and projects have been selected –and there were some tough choices. However, those projects not selected this time will be reconsidered at each upcoming award cycle. (Refer to this to review the award benefits.)

In no order of implied importance.

Ayaz Bashir, Bayonne, NJ

A website upgrade including a robust content management system that would help Mosques conduct their daily and weekly activities, including a WP7 phone app that would automatically adjust for the constant changing time for the five times a day call for prayers, and alert the user fifteen minutes prior to prayers. This will be a Codeplex project and offered to all Mosques. The project will primarily use Expression Blend, WPF, Silverlight, and JQuery.

Darren Tebo, Millcreek, PA

A website upgrade that will include an attendance calendar, a news ticker complete with an RSS feed for current church events, a donation form, prayer request system, and a forum system where church members can have religious discussions and other discussions about everyday life. The proposed upgrades should increase utilization because they will permit church members and church administrators to better keep track of the people and events that they care about. There may be an integrated Bible Verse of the Day feature that will output an RSS feed so that members can easily complete bible studies based on the verses. The project will primarily use Silverlight 4, ASP .NET, and SQL. (We are encouraging Darren to also offer this as a Codeplex project.)

Congratulations to Darren and Ayaz. Details about your awards will be forthcoming in email. We are excited about these projects since they have the potential to be used by many sites to help a large number of folks.

You will be receiving the following:

Consider helping a non-profit, school, or church by offering your skills. See this for more information.

Published Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:27 AM by ArnieRowland

Comments

Arnie Rowland: Ramblings of a Harried Technogeek said:

NOTE: At least one developer and project will be selected every week for the remainder of 2010. Like

August 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Steve Jones said:

Congrats! I would love to get updated on how these projects progress.

August 4, 2010 4:50 PM

Glenn Berry said:

Great work on this project Arnie!

August 5, 2010 8:07 AM

Darren Tebo said:

@Steve Jones, Thank you for the congratulations. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress for sure. :)

August 5, 2010 8:09 PM

Darren Tebo said:

Ok, my project is going to be published at http://projectfaith.codeplex.com and I can't actually publish it yet because it needs actual code to be written first of course. :)

August 6, 2010 5:01 PM

Darren Tebo said:

I consider this an honorable and highly important project. This is such a blessing in my life at a time when I didn't think that I could take my career anywhere. I have really hit a wall in my career and this win will really help me and the church a lot. To those that may be hesitating to enter this giveaway, I have to say one thing: "Don't!" This is the chance of a lifetime and it will help countless people including yourself. It is definitely worth it. :) With this project, not only will I have built a professional looking, fully functioning website, but a simple and professional CMS system as well. The code that you write touches many more lives than you might realize. This is worth its weight in gold and I praise God for people like Arnie Rowland who consider the lives of others in their careers. Without them, this world would be much worse off. :)

Darren Tebo

August 21, 2010 5:02 AM

Ayaz Bashir said:

Project Phoenix is like a dream come true for a web developer like myself. I always have been interested to be on cutting edge of Microsoft technologies. This project provides almost all the greatest software tools from Microsoft you will ever need to become a world class developer. And all the training you need comes with it.  I highly recommend everyone to just think from your heart about a website or software project that can help out others big time and you are going to win it! Thanks to Arnie and others who have been so gracious to offer such a great project.

August 24, 2010 9:29 PM

Darren Tebo said:

Ayaz, I couldn't have said it any better myself. Excellent comment on this. Dreams really do come true! Don't believe me? One day you definitely will! Trust me! :) God works wonders in our lives if we let him. ;)

Darren Tebo

September 7, 2010 2:25 AM

Manohar said:

Hi Arnie,

Very interesting project. How can I get involved in such projects? Please let me know.

Thanks

Manohar

September 11, 2010 8:34 AM

Darren Tebo said:

Hi Arnie:

I just wanted to let you know that I am making significant progress on the site. I completely reworked the code so that it uses a master page. I also cached the connection string for the sql server database. For the links, I created a table in the sql server database so that they can update dynamically (the links get cached after being retrieved to keep performance acceptable). Each new page that I create for the site will check the database or cache for the link for that page. If it doesn't exist, it will create the link in the database. I am also using something that was described to me in a recent interview (stored procedures). The more that I learn about Sql Server and ASP .NET, the more I am growing to like them a lot. :) Anyway, I just wanted to provide an update. I hope that you like what you see. Those that wish to do so, can view the latest updates at http://codeplex.com/projectfaith as always. :)

Darren Tebo