Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Installing SQL Server 2012 on Windows 2012 Server

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:00 PM by andyleonard

Comments

Jim said:

If nothing else the final shows why the "interface formerly known as Metro" doesn't suit a server O/S.

October 28, 2012 6:11 PM

Greg Low said:

Hey Andy,

Would love to hear your thoughts on the desktop tiles on servers. Thumbs up or down?

October 28, 2012 6:47 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Greg and Jim,

I don't know yet about the Metro-style tiles. All I can say for now is "They are different." I haven't yet formed an opinion about their usefulness, but I haven't really had time, yet.

:{>

October 28, 2012 9:39 PM

Chris R. Chapman said:

Having just done a production installation of SQL2012 on a Win2012 server, I can wholeheartedly concur with the annoyance of the Metro UI. It's going to cause some pain for infrastructure folks for some time - we're all going to need to get used to hitting the Windows logo key and typing what we're looking for and hoping it appears.

October 29, 2012 10:22 AM

Steve R said:

Quick find over the weekend, right click tile, e.g. SSMS tile and select/click on bottom the "Open File location" and it will take you to what you would see "as shortcuts" in the old start>-programs-> etc...

October 29, 2012 2:24 PM

pwehland said:

Distributed Replay seems to be a tool that came out of the test group and was put into the product late in the game without a lot of thought or testing.  The setup is incomplete and buggy, you need to spend hours debugging it until you understand that setup installs it wrong.  It needs more work and is NOT ready for the mainstream.

October 30, 2012 5:21 AM

Ian Yates said:

I've got a few Windwows Server 2012 VMs and physical boxes around the place now.  I reckon I've looked at the start screen maybe 5 times total - it just hasn't been a big deal.

The only server where I've used it was a terminal server I set up on which I deliberately turned on desktop experience, etc :)

My habits may not be like other users, but I've always hit the Win key on the keyboard and just typed to get what I want.  That, or I did Win+R and typed ssms, winword, devenv, cmd, http://www.*.com, etc  to get what I wanted.  Mousing around and pecking through the XP/Vista/7 start menu drives me nuts.  I have organised a few tiles on the "metro" start screen for desktop apps and it's working pretty well although it's effort to get right.

You can also run "Classic Shell" - it's free and brings back a version of the start menu.  I run it on Win 7 and disable all of its classic shell stuff except for bringing back the display of the security zone in Internet Explorer - it's nice to know if the site I'm looking at was correctly recognised as local intranet, internet or trusted.

My 2c :)

October 31, 2012 2:05 AM

Victor Brink said:

When I installed Sql Server 2012 on Server 2012 Standard (test VM), after checking .Net 4.5 was enabled, install failed - required NetFX 3 wsa missing, and setup rolled back.

Sergio Govoni posted the solution here: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/sergio_govoni/archive/2013/07/13/how-to-install-netfx3-on-windows-server-2012-required-by-sql-server-2012.aspx

Pity the dependency checker in Sql Server 2012 installer doesn't pickup the missing dependency ;)

September 15, 2014 5:44 PM

Yogendra Mehta said:

If you can help me.....

sql server 2008 r2 on Windows 7

Problem : Large number of Links report serious headaches

when trying to install

sql server 2008 r2

on Windows 7 ( say on a laptop )

almost NO good SQL Server book has this installation done on Windows 7

Book authors often do not indicate OS/platform they used for installation/screen shots

except one book ( SSRS 2008 by Jayaram Krishnaswamy  isbn - 978-81-8404-781-3 / see pg 14 )

has it on Windows XP

Also, DBAs prefer clean slate ( machine ) to begin with

then installation success chance is very high

my Request now :

if you can indicate if

sql server 2008 r2 developer edition ( 32-bit OR 64-bit )

can be installed problem free

on Windows 7 professional (32/64 bit)

( it's CLEAN new laptop I am going to use )

could not find any link W/O problem

January 2, 2015 9:55 AM

Kazzachat Sheyin said:

Can you show screen shots of the report pages and or the errors please? it might be a combination of different issues.

February 26, 2016 10:38 AM