Linchpin People is excited to announce the scheduling of From Zero To SSIS in New York City 30 Jul – 03 Aug 2012!
From Zero to SSIS was developed by Andy Leonard to train technology professionals in the fine art of using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to build data integration and Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) solutions.
The training is focused around labs and emphasizes a hands-on approach. Most technologists learn by doing; this training is designed to maximize the time attendees spend working with SSIS.
The target audience for this training is database professionals, application developers, and business intelligence practitioners interested in acquiring or expanding their existing SSIS skill set.
No experience with SQL Server or SQL Server Integration Services is required before attending this training.
It is helpful (but not required) that students possess some knowledge of and experience with relational databases. SQL Server knowledge / experience will be more helpful than experience and knowledge with other technologies.
At the conclusion of the training, attendees will have been exposed to:
· Using SSIS to develop data integration solutions.
· Using SSIS to load a data warehouse dimension.
· Troubleshooting real-world SSIS Data Flow Task errors.
· Deploying SSIS Solutions.
· Managing, monitoring, and administering SSIS in the enterprise.
Lesson 0: Introduction
· Training overview, expectations, and introductions.
Lesson 1: Creating Your First SSIS package
· Introduction to Business Intelligence Development Studio. Visual Studio tips and tricks, menu contents and locations.
Lesson 2: Introduction to the Data Flow Task
· Introduction to the Data Flow Task. Connection Manager and Data Flow Task basics - source and destination adapters.
Create a Real Data Flow, Part 1.
Lesson 3: Data Flow Task 201
· Intermediate Data Flow Concepts. Building re-executable data loaders.
Exercise: Create a Real Data Flow, Part 2.
Lesson 4: Data Flow Task 202
· Advanced Data Flow Concepts. Building and tuning robust incremental loader.
Exercise: Create a Real Data Flow, Parts 3 and 4.
Lesson 5: The Control Flow
· Containers, Precedence, and Work flow. Transactions, restart-ability, and blocking. Exercise: Sequence Containers.
Lesson 6: Loop Containers
· Using For Loop and Foreach Loop Containers.
Lesson 7: Data Flow Task 301
· Data Cleansing Basics. Building an incremental loader for real-world data.
Exercise: Data Cleansing, Part 1.
Lesson 8: Data Flow Task 302
· Intermediate Data Cleansing. Managing real-world changes to data sources.
Exercise: Data Cleansing, Part 2.
Lesson 9: Data Flow Task 303
· Advanced Data Cleansing. Loading uneven flat file sources
Exercise: Design Pattern: Loading Variable-Length File Sources.
Lesson 10: Event Handlers, Logging, and Configurations
· A survey of SSIS event handlers focusing on OnError and OnInformation events. Using SSIS’s built-in logging facility to capture package execution details and statistics; and built-in package configurations to externalize variable values.
Exercise: Trapping and Logging Errors, Part 1
Lesson 11: Security, Deployment, and Execution
· SSIS Package deployment options and security implications.
· SSIS Package execution.
Lesson 12: ETL Design Patterns
· Leveraging less-documented features of SSIS along with the Parent-Child design pattern to achieve “hands-free” custom logging and creative custom configuration. ETL Instrumentation.
Exercise: Trapping and Logging Errors, Part 2
Lesson 13: Enterprise Execution Patterns
Leveraging the Parent-Child design pattern and much of what we’ve learned over the past four days to build a metadata-driven SSIS execution framework engine.
The course cost includes the course manual and classroom instruction. The course cost does not include transportation, lodging, food, or incidentals. You will need a laptop with SQL Server installed – preferably version 2008 or 2008 R2 - and SQL Server Integration Services configured and operational.
The cost of the course is $3,250USD. If you sign up before 1 Jul 2012, the early-registration cost is $2,999USD. Register here.
Questions? Drop me a line.
I hope to see you in NYC this summer!