Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server 2012 Integration Services Design Patterns. His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP. Andy loves the SQL Server Community!
Note: Comments are moderated. Spam shall not pass! </GandalfVoice>

SSIS 2012 Moving and Resizing

Occasionally someone will email or post a comment about how all MVPs are Microsoft shills. I’m sure I enjoy those comments about as much as the Developer Teams at Microsoft. Let me start by saying that’s simply not true. In fact, it is completely off the mark – at least when it comes to the MVPs I know and with whom I interact. If anything, we are Microsoft’s harshest critics.

Just last week, I sent someone at Microsoft an email with the following complaint (paraphrased):

I do not like chasing down stuff on the SSIS 2012 Control Flow. I click and try to move something, and it ends up in another time zone.

The most helpful tip was to make sure everything is visible on the surface before I attempt to move stuff – especially if resizing or moving items within a container. To assist with this, there’s a helpful “Fit View to Window” button on the surface in the lower right corner:

SSISFitToWindow

I have tested the advice and found it sound, so I thought I would share.

:{>

Published Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:00 AM by andyleonard
Filed under: ,

Comments

james said:

thanks shill

March 20, 2012 7:30 AM

Mike Honey said:

I agree - this is rubbish usability (still after SP1).  I've raised a Connect Bug for it - please vote:

January 16, 2013 1:57 AM

SHane said:

This issue makes the product almost unusable.  It does not matter 100% or 10%.  How did this product make it out of testing?  Oh wait, we are the Testers!

March 18, 2013 10:13 AM

Jimbar said:

Heres the easy way to re-align to top.

Create an empty task (doesnt matter) in the top left corner - then zoom out of ure project .. ctrl+click the new task, and the next one down - then go to format - remove - vertical spacing and it will lock everything back to the  top

Enjoy!

April 5, 2013 9:11 AM

John said:

Jimbar - you are a life saver - nice solution to the bizare un-documented feature of spead-of-ligth travel within SSIS Control Flow panel.

May 22, 2013 7:36 PM

Adam Rutherford said:

AHA!!! Finally found a way to get everything back in the semi-kinda-sorta proper place!

Format -> Auto Layout -> Diagram

Is it intuitive? No. Does it work? Yeah baby!

June 21, 2013 3:10 PM

cswaim said:

Auto layout worked for a small project, can't vouch for a large layout though.

July 11, 2013 4:38 PM

dline292 said:

All the developers on my team are experiencing this too. Now we know why MS added to the undo feature, because you'll be using it all the time with SSIS 2012.

Please vote on the issue that Mike Honey posted on Connect:

July 31, 2013 12:35 PM

Andrey said:

@Jimbar: you are the man! Great hint!

September 26, 2013 8:23 AM

Carsten said:

This GUI is a joke. What a frustrating use of time. This is one big reason why SSIS will never compete with other ETL tools such as Informatica, Pentaho or.....shell scripting....

March 7, 2014 1:58 PM

Zork said:

You can also select the object you want to move and ctrl+direction arrow to move it.  Not the best, but a helluvalot better than trial and error via drag-and-drop and ctrl+z.

April 8, 2014 7:01 PM

Zork said:

To move an object within SSIS you can use ctrl+direction arrow (2008R2 and 2012).

To resize an object within SSIS you can use alt+direction arrow (2012 only).

April 8, 2014 7:24 PM

Mukti Verma said:

Just recently started using SSDT (Visual Studios 2010) and was extremely frustrated with my first project, impossible to move or drag items to the desired location.

~Mukti

April 24, 2014 5:53 PM

Pillai said:

Who ships out this horrible application? In BIDS, you had a perfectly working canvas, and now, I just want to shoot the screen down in VS2010.

Seriously - did heads roll for this?

May 21, 2014 5:24 PM

SSIS Rage said:

I have been working on a package with multiple vast sequence containers, and the only way I could do it was to do a ctrl-a and then select format -> align -> tops and then move them about until it was useable.

Agreed. How this managed to ship out in a release beggers belief.

October 10, 2014 10:43 AM