Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Dashboards

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, December 5, 2011 8:00 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Rod Colledge said:

Nice one Andy. A massive area of interest for me right now.

Cheers

December 5, 2011 7:28 AM

Thom Rabey said:

Andy - I love your writing. Excellent! This post contains a world of information for teachers as well as BI practitioners.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice - but in practice there is all the difference in the world" - as you said in the article "How hard can it be" - that seems to be the management theory of all technology. But in practice...

And your reference to data as equivalent to fluidics - so true. I am amazed at how often another branch of science has already solved our problems but we remain unaware becasue it is another field. And then we berate the PHBs for busines silos!

December 5, 2011 10:41 AM

Professordavos said:

Thank you for this article. It also doesn't occur to me that transparency can be a bad thing. I don't understand why some managers think that withholding information is a good idea. Deception & manipulation seems to be par for the course for that sort of manager, and serve to protect their necks rather than contribute to efficiency and progress. It parallels IT professionals who don't share their expertise as though keeping things to themselves will increase their power.

I don't agree that the information is proprietary. If you have an SLA then there is an obligation to report on your compliance.

I've certainly been in the firing line from various middle managers when I have provided transparency to upper level management regarding the KPI's of those middle managers.

White lies aside, lying is wrong and leads to more trouble.

December 11, 2011 6:04 PM

unclebiguns said:

I wish I was as smart as you Andy.

December 30, 2011 2:49 PM

andyleonard said:

Pffft Jack. You are smarter than me!

:{>