Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server 2012 Integration Services Design Patterns. His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP. Andy loves the SQL Server Community!
Note: Comments are moderated. Spam shall not pass! </GandalfVoice>

SQLTreeO–Folders in SSMS

Introduction

I got a note from Jakub Dvorak via LinkedIn inviting me to try SQLTreeO. I checked out the site, liked what I read, navigated to the download, and installed it. I think it’s pretty cool. Here’s how I used it:

Create a New Folder in SSMS

To create a folder, right-click the desired parent folder and click New Folder:

When the new folder appears, you can rename it by simply typing a new name. Here, I typed “MyNewFolder” as the new folder name:

To move objects into the new folder, I right-clicked the Stored Procedures folder and click Manage Folders… This brought up the Manage Folders window:

I multi-selected some stored procedures to move into MyNewFolder, then dragged and dropped them onto MyNewFolder. To view the contents of MyNewFolder, I clicked it in the treeview on the left:

After closing the Manage Folders window, Object Explorer now lists the stored procedures I moved inside the MyNewFolder virtual folder created by the SQLTreeO add-in:

Conclusion

I like the idea behind SQLTreeO a lot. It will help keep my database development more organized when building projects in SSMS for current versions of SQL Server.

:{>

Published Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:52 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Ismail Al Bulushi said:

This sounds great. I'm going to guess it's meta stored in your SSMS session? This isn't touching any schemas or adding somekind of comment within those stored procs is it?

August 30, 2011 11:55 AM

Jakub Dvorak said:

Hi,

It uses extended properties of objects to persist refernce to folders. Please read this post, technical solution is described there - http://www.sqltreeo.com/wp/dowload-free-ssms-add-in-to-create-own-folder-for-database-objects/

August 31, 2011 6:40 AM

Richard Monteg said:

But this tool is no longer free - used to be.  Sure they author needs to be compensated for the efforts,  but for transparency sake, it has to be mentioned for people to know.

September 25, 2013 5:09 AM

jam said:

I was looking for a tool like this for a long time... but 50 euros is too expensive. A decent price should be around 10 to 15 euros.

October 1, 2013 7:45 PM

Tom said:

And nowhere on the site of SQLTreeO you can find decent contactdetails or the address of the company. I can tell you why it costs €50 however. The owner of the company is someone I knew from the Netherlands and he has a lot of debts. Hopefully you're not expecting a good service or a lot of support for SQLTreeO.

October 9, 2014 3:08 AM

Unhappy user said:

The old versions were free, later they asked €100 for a license which they lowered to €50. Still it is much to expensive. All free versions stopped working from the moment that a new version appeared so you're obbligated to upgrade to the next version which costs €50/license. They say it's a lifetime license but you can't find any address or owner details from this company. I would never trust something like this. It stinks.

October 9, 2014 3:26 AM