Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

MVPs and the Community

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Friday, February 11, 2011 11:51 AM by andyleonard

Comments

mjswart said:

Re: Microsoft Listens

I've spent many many years as a developer and understand the development lifecycle. When David writes "it seems like the feedback that is given falls on deaf ears for many products" that rang true for me.

I can't say I have any experience with the MVP program, but bumps in the road like that are pretty serious and can't always be dismissed with a change in perspective.

That said, I believe the SQL Server community thrives and does better than most others. I don't know why, but I would bet PASS has more to do with it than Microsoft.

February 11, 2011 1:11 PM

AaronBertrand said:

Great post Andy. You've stated a lot of the things that I thought on first reading David's blog.

February 11, 2011 2:03 PM

Glenn Berry said:

Very thoughtful post, Andy.  The MVP award and program is what you make of it. It can help open some doors, but that should not be the main point of it.  I am glad to be part of the program myself.

February 11, 2011 2:07 PM

Ralph Wilson said:

I have met several MVP's and, considering that I have only officially been a part of the SQL Server community for a relatively brief period of time, I have found few who were not willing to provide assistance (courteously with a smile, most of the time) or who were even borderline rude . . . the vast majority seem to be perfectly willing to teach what they know and learn from whoever may know something that they don't.

Your points about the enormity of the whole SQL Server stack is something that most non-DBA's have difficulty grasping.  SQL Server may not be the proverbial "rocket scince" but it can be pretty close to as complex and the practicioners pretty close to as specialized as the various engineers required to get lift-off on a moon shot.  It may be that even some DBA's have trouble remembering that there is no possible way that any one person can know all that there is to know about all aspects of the SQL Server stack.

As you rightly point out, MVP's are a Microsoft invention and they not only make the rules and administer the process but they can alter the rules whenever they choose or ignore them if they wish.  However, Dave also has the right to decide whether or not to accept the (perhaps arbitrary) manner in which Microsoft designates MVP's and it would appear that he has exercised his right to opt out of the game.

Hopefully, this was a considered decision and not just a spontaneous reaction to some real or perceived slight because, having opted out, it may be hard to rejoin the game at a later date.

February 11, 2011 5:07 PM

dbaduck said:

I think that there is a lot of feedback that Microsoft can hear.  Having been an MVP Lead and an MVP now, I can say that there is always more that can be done, on both sides.  Remember that we all would like a perfect program just like we would love to have a perfect system at work.  As an MVP Lead, they do all they can to facilitate feedback and provide as much value as possible to the MVP and to Microsoft.

We call that Collaboration for mutual benefit and there can always be more of that.  I cannot speak to his concerns, because they are very personal to each MVP, but I resonate with much of what you have written Andy. Thanks for your involvement in the Community.

February 11, 2011 10:33 PM