Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

PASS Summit 2010 Presentation Feedback

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:00 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Julie Smith said:

Thanks Andy for your willingness to share your feedback.  I didn't make it to PASS this year (big sad face on that), but thoroughly enjoyed you at Columbia SQL Saturday.  I got overwhelmingly positive feedback from my session that I gave, but I did get one "3" and one negative comment about my voice as well.  (it was probably a Southerner who was irritated by the sound of my Northern Voice :)  )

It is funny to me how my mind is like a sieve and I spent way too much time focusing on the two negative comments instead of the 20 positive :)  So thanks for the perspective and sharing!

December 22, 2010 10:29 AM

smisner said:

I'm sympathetic about the laptop issue. My hard drive failed right at the moment that I put my laptop onto the podium. Fortunately, I had Erika's laptop loaded up with my slide deck and  my demo scripts and she had everything I needed from SQL Server installed as well. The only thing I didn't consider in advance was setting up a linked server for Analysis Services which was a demo I had in reserve if time allotted. So only a minute or two of switcheroo but I still got complaints in the evals for not being prepared. Some hard-core critics in the audience this year, I guess. You're so right - you can't please everyone! Fortunately, there were plenty of others who were happy and supportive. Kind of representative of any large group of people, isn't it? I'm grateful for the SQL Server Community no matter what kind of day everyone's having! :)

December 22, 2010 10:48 AM

andyleonard said:

Hi Julie,

I heard your presentation at SQL Saturday Columbia and it was awesome! I learned a couple SSIS tricks from that talk (one thing was setting the MaximumErrorCount property to 0).

Reading the feedback folks gave Grant Fritchey and Brent Ozar helped me realize it's a two-way transaction. Sometimes I can knock it out of the park (rarely, but it's happened, ok only once and that was really Jessica knocking out of the park, but I digress...) and still miss someone's expectations.

In many ways a presentation is a short-lived relationship.

I share because my reaction to some of Grant's and Brent's feedback was "What?!" Reading what people wrote about them - especially when I was also in the room an heard the same presentation personally - helped me put the insulting feedback in perspective.

Some folks want more out of the relationship (presentation) than speakers are prepared to share (for whatever reason - it doesn't have to be that the speaker doesn't know). Some are bouncing back from bad relationships (presentations / speakers / sessions). Sometimes, it's just me and not you.

You're a great speaker and will be presenting at national conferences as soon as people hear your talks. Feedback is part of that and it's truly helpful.

:{>

December 22, 2010 10:56 AM

Julie Smith said:

Andy, you are too kind :)  Have a great Christmas!

and Stacia I will see you in Tampa :)

December 22, 2010 2:52 PM

kendra little said:

I am giggling thinking what it must have been like when you learned a session was accepted which you hadn't meant to submit. Must have been quite a moment! :)

Hoping to see you again at a SQL Saturday soon!

December 23, 2010 3:37 PM

unclebiguns said:

Andy,

I know your DB Design goes over well at SQLSaturday's because I've seen your full rooms and ratings.  I'm sure having a new laptop threw some things off.

Since you are an SSIS master I'm not surprised your SSIS session was highly rated.

December 23, 2010 5:03 PM

andyleonard said:

Ouch Stacia!

Right when you started your presentation? Kudos on pulling off that session!

Yep Kendra,

That was an oh-crap moment, to be sure. I thought about contacting the committee but then I remembered it had played well at SQL Saturdays and thought, "Ah well, it'll be fine."

Thanks Jack!