Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Bloggers Behaving Badly

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:00 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Todd Heflin said:

Excellent analogy!

December 1, 2010 7:35 AM

Stuart Ainsworth said:

When I read the title, I wanted pictures.  But then I thought about it, and decided I really didn't want to see any of them.  :P

December 1, 2010 9:06 AM

andyleonard said:

LOL Stuart! :{>

December 1, 2010 9:44 AM

Matt Velic said:

Well, you could say, "Oopsie, my bad," but it probably wouldn't help much... :)

December 1, 2010 10:30 AM

Robert Miller said:

I am saddened to read this is *still* going on.

When a site has a disclaimer such as the referenced site does, then we all now it is a plagiarizing site and really needs to be taken completely down.

This is like you recording a song, hosting it, and someone else re-hosting it as their song.

December 1, 2010 10:38 AM

Tim W said:

Now the question is... Can I steal THIS article for republication?

(Disclaimer: I don't *steal* from other programmers unless its already in an assembly -- in which case I download it, try it, and god willing my company purchases it).

Noteworthy: Google is attempting to make making copy violations it a bit more legit. Read: <a href="http://googlenewsblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/credit-where-credit-is-due.html">Credit Where Credit Is Due.<a>

December 1, 2010 4:52 PM

Denny Cherry said:

Well said!

December 1, 2010 6:28 PM

John Paul Cook said:

What about self-plagiarism? Your tax dollars went to create this document http://ori.dhhs.gov/education/products/plagiarism/ condemning the practice of an author using his/her own previous work in a new work without attribution.

As a college student, I've found that many college professors condemn self-plagiarism as unethical. Suppose a student writes a paper. The following semester in a different course the student realizes that the previous semester's paper meets the requirements for a paper in the current semester. The paper is resubmitted. This is self-plagiarism.

Suppose a blogger decides to edit and compile several of his blog posts into a free whitepaper he offers on his new company website. In the whitepaper, he doesn't credit himself for having provided his own work to himself. By omission, the whitepaper appears as new work. Our government watchdogs say this is unethical.

Oh, I should point out that I previously wrote some of the content in this comment and am reusing it here even though I have not obtained permission from myself to do so.

December 2, 2010 9:22 AM

Robert LeVan said:

On the other hand, there is a legitimate way to accomplish the same thing.  The ultimate goal is to educate the user community without stealing from other people.  All you have to do is properly attribute the work and point your readers to the appropriate blog.  I've done this before and have never had a complaint from the original blogger, even when I created derivative works using parts of their sample code.

For example, this is approximately the wording of a very old post of mine:

A client asked me the other day to set up a job with alerts so that he could manage table and file growth in his system and take appropriate action when certain thresholds were reached.  I created a 'canned' package for this type of thing years ago, but recently I came across a piece of elegant code written by SammySQL Codewright.  Sammy's code only did part of what I needed, but his way of thinking was elegant, and that was what caused me to rethink and rewrite my own code.  Please read his original blog post <here>.  See if you agree with me that this kind of thinking is elegant and is something we should strive for instead of the 'just get it done' approach that many clients push us towards. My solution which applies some of his principles is below......

Andy, I've been following your blog for some time and have noticed that you use the same approach.  If all bloggers were to use that approach, we'd all be happy (and honest).

December 3, 2010 1:03 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Robert,

Excellent comment and thoughts!

Attribution works for me and I wish more people would practice this - one of my SSIS ideas showed up in a pre-con recently - with zero attribution, for example.

I didn't figure out everything I know all by myself, and I'm sure I forget to attribute everything to its original author. But I definitely try to do this. We're all standing on the shoulders of the giants that went before us - there's no shame (or fear - at least not on my part) in saying "I learned this from ____."

How hard is this?