Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server 2012 Integration Services Design Patterns. His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP. Andy loves the SQL Server Community!
Note: Comments are moderated. Spam shall not pass! </GandalfVoice>

Stepping Aside

I've been honored to serve as a PASS Regional Mentor for two years.

My goal is to step out of the way of some folks who can bring fresh and new ideas to bear. I believe this is the best argument for term-limits and this provides an opportunity for me to mentor a couple / three people on how to do regional / national UG and Events mentoring as they assume the role I leave. For them, this will hopefully be another bullet on their MVP Nomination response (the people I suggested are not MVPs - yet).

I have the utmost respect for the PASS Regional Mentor program. I think it's one of the coolest ideas to come out of PASS's chapter program. Like all programs of this type, it needs constant improvement. During my tenure I learned a lot and got to work with some really cool people.

I will continue to respond to questions and provide advice about how to start and operate user groups and coordinate community events like Code Camps and SQL Saturdays. I am simply returning to doing so in an unofficial capacity.

Andy
Published Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:00 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Andy Warren said:

Andy, thanks for your efforts as an RM, and thanks for thinking about how to grow the next group of leaders and doing what you can to make it happen.

July 14, 2010 8:00 AM

SQLvariant said:

Term Limits?  Stepping Aside?  A man that practices what he preaches?

You better knock that off quick or you'll never get anywhere in life.

:-)

Thanks for all you do for the community and having the foresight to boost others so that they can shine.

July 14, 2010 8:06 AM

K. Brian Kelley said:

Thanks, Andy, for all the help and guidance you've provided Midlands PASS and me personally over the last few years. The fact that we're still in existence and gearing up for a SQL Saturday has a lot to do with your efforts and wisdom.

July 14, 2010 9:07 AM

Patrick LeBlanc said:

Thanks Andy!

July 14, 2010 11:13 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Andy,

It would be really interesting to hear more about what you did in the role as regional mentor. Maybe fodder for a blog post or two? I've never had any interaction, as a UG leader, with a PASS regional mentor so I'm not really sure what people who are mentors are tasked with doing.

July 14, 2010 11:35 AM

ArnieRowland said:

I commend you on a conscientious decision. And applaud you resolve to mentor your replacement(s).

Like Adam, I've never received any interaction my a PASS Regional Director/Mentor, and really wonder what is the purpose... Perhaps you could blog and enlighten some of us (including some Regional Directors/Mentors.) I don't even see any information about Regional Director/Mentors on the PASS website -so you would be doing a service for many of us.

July 14, 2010 1:57 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Adam and Arnie,

I don't claim to have been good as a Regional Mentor, but I will share what I did as a Regional Mentor in an upcoming post.

:{>

July 14, 2010 2:14 PM

Jorge Segarra said:

As everyone has already said, thank you so much for everything you do. You're a great leader and a valuable asset to the community!

July 15, 2010 4:04 PM