Welcome to - The SQL Server blog spot on the web Sign in | |

Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server Integration Services Design Patterns and Managing Geeks - A Journey of Leading by Doing, and author of the Stairway to Integration Services.

Survey: How's Your Economy?

Another quick survey question, slightly off-topic: How's your economy? Have things picked up for you recently? Slowed down? Remained static?

:{> Andy

Published Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:00 AM by andyleonard

WIDBA said:

Upper Midwest seems to be doing ok.  I think good Data people can almost always find a job - its the marginal ones that struggle.

March 10, 2010 8:28 AM

Jack Corbett said:

Working for a faith-based organization where I am supported by donations I can say that in 2009 my economy was down by about 20%, but believe it or not, I didn't really notice it until I did my taxes.

In the last 3-5 months it feels like things have picked up for me personally and in my role as a user group leader I get to talk to recruiters and things in technology have picked up some.

March 10, 2010 8:28 AM

Paul Nielsen said:

last year I worked on 2 books, so it was a down year for income. This year I'm consulting, so it's an up year for income.

March 10, 2010 9:18 AM

Dylan Finney said:

Public Education (and government in general) will be down for 2010 in CO.  But we're usually a year behind you private sector guys anyways ;p

Here's hoping for 2011!

March 10, 2010 10:52 AM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

I am getting the feeling that the Linux segment of the market is doing very good, and that the current trends are somewhat in that direction.

March 10, 2010 11:23 AM

Tim Mitchell said:

No complaints here.  If the number of recruiter calls and e-mails is any indication of how well the economy is doing, it's safe to say that the database field, particularly BI, still has more opportunities than talent.

March 10, 2010 9:00 PM

Stephen Munson said:

I was working out of state from August thru the end of last year, and the work ended mid-January (last 4 weeks from home)...  I'm about to head out of state once again - possibly for a year or more...  Bottom line:  The economy HAS started to go in the right direction, BUT - being on unemployment just doesn't make ends meet, so things are tough, and will be for a while...

March 11, 2010 8:20 AM