Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

How Many SSIS Packages Should I Create?

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Monday, December 28, 2009 8:00 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Steve said:

for DB2, this is what I do :

I have 2 packages, an incremental and full load. And then about 5-6 other packages that just execute the full/incremental and pass in the db2 table name and it pulls it down. I group the packages by db2 tables in JDE (that is the source system I pull from), so something like, Sales, Inventory, Purchasing, GL, etc

December 28, 2009 7:52 AM

ken ambrose said:

I would add that SSIS/ETL programming shares similiar design issues with conventional procedural language programming: Support reuse, architect for reliability, maintainability, testability.

For example, in the past I have had to create SSIS processing that I was certain could be reused with simple variable or config file changes. In those cases, I put that code in a seperate package so it can be reused easily in many ETL solutions.

December 28, 2009 4:42 PM

brucem said:

Andy,

In the example above where you would have several packages, do you have a "main package" that runs all the other packages sequentially or do you schedule each package to run independently?

Thanks,

Bruce

December 29, 2009 1:15 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Bruce,

That is an excellent question and the answer is "it depends." I definitely automate some way to execute the packages in a prescribed order. I sometimes use a Parent Package (main package) to execute the Child Packages, sometimes I use a scheduler like SQL Agent and call each Child Package in its own job step.

:{> Andy

December 29, 2009 2:35 PM

Bruce said:

Hi Andy .. I've almost similar question.

I need to extract data from 15 tables.Few tables are big tables (having millions of rows). There is no FK constraint between the tables in source DB. Do i need to add all the flows in one data flow task or should i break them for improved performance.

Thanks

November 30, 2011 4:11 AM

Vikas said:

This is a very old page but still I want to understand what if my package with 8 data flow task(with some transformations) takes 10 mins to complete(as you have mentioned if it take 3 hrs). but still if I want to go ahead with parent child design then is it ok?. Personally I prefer modular and clean code approach so i would like to use single package per table approach.

What would you suggest?

October 6, 2015 11:52 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Vikas,

Did operations and support, yep. Create a package for each data flow.

:{>