Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Toughest Career Challenge

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:40 PM by andyleonard

Comments

Steve Jones said:

Sorry to hear about that, but glad it worked out. Those personality conflicts are always tough.

December 9, 2008 11:48 PM

SQLBatman said:

Andy,

The very notion that anyone on this Earth would think about letting you go is crazy. Is this company still in business? I would think that with such a track record of talent evaluation they would have been run into the ground about eight months after you left.

December 10, 2008 12:09 AM

andyleonard said:

Thanks Steve and SQLBatman,

Steve, you are correct and that was tough.

Thanks SQLBatman, they were purchased and re-orged a bit.

:{> Andy

December 10, 2008 12:25 AM

Ben Moorhouse said:

It would be interesting to see whether or not your old boss, or the person who did the update while you were gone, is still working there!

I'm very glad that you got out relatively unscathed!

December 10, 2008 6:17 AM

Brent Ozar said:

Reading everybody's answers, I'm chuckling that the challenges are all related to soft skills.  When Chris started the quiz, I thought I was kinda cheating because one of my challenges was a soft skill, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.  Technology isn't that hard for us geeks, but man, the politics side of it is a minefield.

December 10, 2008 7:45 AM

Jack Corbett said:

Andy,

At least you got a good story out of it.  I also love th Crappy Job Test and your conclusion that even if you get fired from a Crappy Job you are better off because it's going to end any way.

I've been in a Crappy Job before.  The company VP said that IT is "a necessary evil and brings no value to the company".  Of course now the location at which I worked has lost all its IT staff and most of us get to go back occasionally as contractors/consultants to keep things running.  It's not a bad place to be a contractor/consultant.

December 10, 2008 8:34 AM

Amanda said:

As your daughter, and a professional studying all kinds of psych, I'm very pleased with your last sentence- very self-differentiated. 90% of the time, most people's reactions to us are about them and not us. One of my favorite theologians, Henri Nouwen, said that when we meet someone we clash with, it's because they remind us of something we either don't want to admit or don't like about ourselves. Sounds like a lack of admission on her part... probably one of those "think she knows it all" types and gets angry when it becomes evident she does not, in fact, know it all. :) Looking forward to your group meeting tonight and you getting to meet your incubating granddaughter!

December 11, 2008 4:41 PM

Brian said:

This sounds very familiar......

December 11, 2008 7:20 PM

Tim said:

I absolutely had to respond to this post. I have had the EXACT same experience. I worked at a start up with unrealistic expectations, where myself and one other core developer (out of a team of 16) lead the project to initial success (despite some hacks). Many 80 hour weeks. Travel. More.

I had a crappy job. After completing a monumental task of lifting the company off the ground, my PM, simply would make any excuse to point out any shortcomings that came out of my ballpark. My last week at the company I was given a ad hoc review by my PM, pointing out things that were reaching into minor issues we experienced during the process and some claims, were completely unsubstantiated. Was terminated. After leaving I shared the review with others in the group, everyone was dumbfounded. Within a couple months time, the other core developer also left/forced to leave. Since then, started another start-up, this time with many more options :)

July 7, 2010 10:53 PM