Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server 2012 Integration Services Design Patterns. His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP. Andy loves the SQL Server Community!
Note: Comments are moderated. Spam shall not pass! </GandalfVoice>

Vista Replaced By "Mojave"

Microsoft has finally found a way to counter the negative publicity generated around Vista, it's called Mojave. I have to credit Glen Gordon with turning me on to Mojave - thanks Glen!

Last week, Microsoft secretly unveiled Mojave to XP users in San Francisco. The results? 90% positive. Finally, Microsoft has come through with an OS that everyone loves!

Except...

Mojave is Vista.

"Durnit! Someone call those marketing guys! I'd do it but I can't activate my phone! People are trying it and finding out Vista works! We're going to need more sardonic commercials!" - MacMarketing

:{> Andy

Published Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:58 PM by andyleonard

Comments

K. Brian Kelley said:

I needed Vista for some writing I did, but I think other than that, I'd rather be on WinXP. I've already documented issues with setting up both both SSRS 2005 and MySQL with respect to Vista. Issues that aren't present in XP. That's the kind of stuff that bothers me. Even UAC isn't a big deal in comparison.

July 24, 2008 1:14 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Brian,

Agreed. But let's be clear: There are technical issues and there are perception issues. The fact that people are buying the hype is now documented. And, when presented with the goods, they simply like Vista - about 90% of the time.

That's bad news for the hype artists.

:{> Andy

July 24, 2008 1:27 PM

Chuck Boyce said:

I mainly only do digital media now and I had to say goodbye to somethings I loved or refused to buy updates for (i.e. my Polycom communicator for Skype) but I must say that I absolutely love Vista - and I have a mac!  Once I got over the learning curve, I found it's fine.  I do all my serious digital media work with it.  My iMac is just a toy.

Chuck

July 24, 2008 2:45 PM

John Paul Cook said:

An even better OS than "Mojave" is Windows 2008 Server!

July 24, 2008 10:47 PM

Sid Atkinson said:

I have been running Vista 64 for 8 months now and have been very happy with it -- I was one of the lead adopters in our consulting company. There have been a few aches and pains in getting development tools to work (which I've blogged about), but it really is an excellent operating system. What cracks me up is how eager people are to run Server 2008 -- same code base, but that is lost on many. I am now running Server 2008 on my laptop (Dell D830) and use Hyper V to run my old Vista 64 image. Everything is screaming and I love the responses I get when I demo this to our clients.

July 27, 2008 2:22 PM

Linchi Shea said:

Like any new technology, you can and have to learn to adapt to it, and after you have become familiar with it, many issues go away. But one test they should do is to switch an XP user--who has never used Vista--to Vista, and give him a really tight deadline to get his project done. I'm sure he'll cure left and right about not being able to find things to get his work done.

July 28, 2008 10:40 AM