Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

SQL Server 2008 RC0 Download

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:48 PM by andyleonard

Comments

Peter W. DeBetta said:

I wanted to blog about this! :-P

June 10, 2008 3:27 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Hopefully this will work.......

I downloaded the 3.1 GB monster file from MSDN twice and both times I couldn't mount the ISO, when I unrarred it I got CRC errors  :-(

June 10, 2008 3:31 PM

Peter W. DeBetta said:

I mounted the ISO from MSDN subscriber downloads without issue. What are you using to mount the ISO file? May I recommend DAEMON Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc)

June 10, 2008 4:05 PM

Denis Gobo said:

It is possible I had a bad file, if not unrarring it wouldn't fail either. I use VCdControlTool.exe when not using a Virtual machine since you can mount the ISO directly from within a Virtual PC

I have used VCdControlTool with all the other CTPs,  Win2008 server, visual studio 2008 etc etc without a problem

June 10, 2008 4:11 PM

andyleonard said:

I am installing now but it will take a while. I am also hauling boxes to a storage area. :{|

So far it's going well.

I forgot to credit Erik Veerman with the link - "thanks Erik for the link!" There. that's better.

:{> Andy

June 10, 2008 4:50 PM

Peter W. DeBetta said:

Must be gremlins, then, or perhaps a bad connection.

June 10, 2008 5:21 PM

andyleonard said:

June 10, 2008 10:05 PM

Hans Olav said:

I would say "for godness' sake, don't load it on a real machine" is an expression a bit too strong. I've been running all CTPs since last summer on my laptop with no big problems. Of course, I could hit a snag and have to reinstall the machine, but that's a risk I'm willing to take to get optimal performance with no need to boot up virtual machines every time I want to play with it.

Just make sure to thoroughly clean out the previous installation before loading up the next.

June 11, 2008 1:16 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Denis, you're not alone.  I just downloaded the self-extracting EXE for 32-bit, and 1 GB of download later, I launched the file and got a very generic "file is corrupt" error when it was extracting dotnetfx35.exe.  :-(

June 11, 2008 8:27 PM

Denis Gobo said:

Aaron,

I had no problem with the 1GB file, as a matter of fact I did an install on my other PC, I didn't like doing an upgrade from 2005

June 12, 2008 9:49 AM

TechVsLife said:

The only beef I have with RC0 is that its setup program has a rule disallowing the installation of sql server, so I can't test it (I don't know how to install except by running setup.exe):

Setup for 32-bit Sql RC0 won't run on x64: exits with an error rejecting x64 OS and rejecting WOW64.

See:

June 15, 2008 2:48 PM

Shams said:

I have installed the .net framework 3.5 separately which was succesful, but am still getting the error at startup saying .net framework 3.5 installation failed. any ideas ?

June 19, 2008 4:23 PM