Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Installing Virtual Server On Vista Ultimate 64-bit

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:07 PM by andyleonard

Comments

cinahcaM madA said:

Thanks!  I tried installing it a couple of months ago and when it didn't work I just gave up and used VPC instead... Maybe I'll try again w/ these instructions.

December 8, 2007 10:17 PM

andyleonard said:

Cool Adam,

Let me know how it goes!

:{> Andy

December 8, 2007 10:43 PM

Paul Nielsen said:

Andy,

I've been using Vista to host VPC/XP/Katmai and it's working well for me, but maybe I don't know waht I'm missing. What's the advantage of moving up to Virtual Server?

-Paul

December 8, 2007 11:28 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Paul,

I am no expert on Virtual PC or Virtual Server (or anything else for that matter), but I get slightly better, though noticable, performance out of servers I host in the Virtual Server environment. In my experience, I'm able to reduce the memory allocation 10 - 15% and get the same "feel" (click response, application open speed, etc.) in Virtual Server compared to a Virtual PC-hosted machine. This may be due to the fact Virtual Server is a service, while Virtual PC is an application - I'm not sure. Whatever the reason, this allows me to run more virtual machines - or "beef up" a single machine - on a RAM-challenged system (like an older laptop).

I find the Virtual Server environment less friendly for building virtual machines than Virtual PC, so I use Virtual PC to build the servers, then host them in Virtual Server. Once in Virtual Server, I find the VMRC controls a bit sluggish - especially when compared to Remote Desktop Connection. So I use the Admin console in Virtual Server to start and configure the machines, but I use RDC to operate them.

:{> Andy

December 9, 2007 10:10 AM

RickHeiges said:

Paul

- In Virtual Server, you can setup a cluster.  You cannot do that in VPC.

December 11, 2007 4:12 PM

Jim Duncan said:

You can also install 64bit GUESTS in Virtual Server (on a 64bit host). AFAIK Virtual PC only supports 32bit guests...

February 8, 2008 4:47 PM

Chris Randall said:

Virtual Server still only supports 32-bit guests. Need a 64-bit guest? Go with VMware. As for VS vs VPC, VPC is single-threaded; VS isn't.

February 13, 2008 10:57 PM

Rolando Quiros said:

Is there a know issue with the virtual DVD or CD in Vista?

I'm was able to create the VM but the virtual CD is not accesible, so I can't restart from it, and so, I cant install another SO/

March 3, 2008 6:15 PM

kai said:

do anyone find out why the setup does not allow to changing the port number?

June 2, 2008 2:06 AM

Scott Lock said:

One additional thing I had to do...

I had to turn off impersonation under CGI.  I thought this was odd as I had the shortcut running as ADMIN user.

June 12, 2008 3:59 PM

Avinash said:

It is cool

August 2, 2008 4:55 AM

Moiz Tankiwala, PMP said:

Your screen shot of IIS was definitely worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing this information as it really helped us setup Virtual Server 2005 correctly on Windows 7.

-Moiz Tankiwala