Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is CSO of Linchpin People and SQLPeople, an SSIS Trainer, Consultant, and developer; a Business Intelligence Markup Language (Biml) developer; SQL Server database and data warehouse developer, community mentor, engineer, and farmer. He is a co-author of SQL Server 2012 Integration Services Design Patterns. His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP. Andy loves the SQL Server Community!
Note: Comments are moderated. Spam shall not pass! </GandalfVoice>

Installing Reporting Services 2005 on Vista

I have a new Dell desktop. The first thing I did was install Vista 64-bit and bumped it up to 4GB of RAM.

I'm now trying to install a default instance of SQL Server 2005 Developer and can't get Reporting Services to run because IIS isn't installed. After trying the click-a-bunch-of-stuff in the "Turn Windows features on or off" dialog, I decided to read the instructions. I may have to start by reading the instructions from now on... click-a-bunch-of-stuff may no longer be my default...

The instructions are here - and I am happy to Report (pun intended) that they work.

The dialog you're after looks like this:

Be sure to install the latest service pack (SP2 at the time of this writing) when the install completes.

:{> Andy

Published Friday, November 30, 2007 12:45 AM by andyleonard

Comments

Charlie said:

My new laptop came with Visa Home Premium and I took on the task of installing SQL 2005 this weekend. I had followed the KB article you pointed out but I have one issue. Under Security I do not have a Windows Authentication option. Looking closer, I do not have a few of the possible check boxes you show. I did check around a little but did not put too much effort in the finding the solution since Vista was barking about updates.

Any help would be appreicated.

Charlie@sqlsig.org

December 3, 2007 9:55 AM

Andy Leonard said:

Mea... This may be a little off-topic. I use Virtual Server and Virtual PC a lot for things like testing

December 8, 2007 11:07 AM

geee said:

I have been trying to set up Reporting Services  on Vista business. I have failed dismally on account of inetmgr.exe dissapearing and reappearing... After 3 days of effort I manager to get localhost/reports up, but without any functionality. (only Home and Help showing). After a reboot, that too was gone followed by 503 errors. This is a typical example of untested software being dumped prematurely onto the market. The MS KB docs are incomplete and innaccurate.

December 19, 2007 6:32 AM

andyleonard said:

Hi Geee,

I couldn't disagree more.

First, all software is subject to errors. Second, there is always a dearth of available and helpful information until a product release has matured.

Andy

December 20, 2007 1:57 PM

Geee said:

Andy , we are not talking about plain old errors - we are talking complete failure to get the Reporting Services to work at all. I have been talking to the IIS program managers and they have yet to get it working on Vista....many tried .. all failed

December 26, 2007 8:26 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Geee,

That's incredible - literally. I have tried it on several computers and got it working every time.

Reporting Services 2005 works on the very computer on which I'm typing this reply - a 64-bit installation of Vista Ultimate - on my laptop (32-bit Vista), and on several virtual servers running Vista 32-bit.

I'm not sure who you're talking to, but Reporting Services runs on Vista.

:{> Andy

December 27, 2007 3:11 PM

bisi said:

Reporting services will only run on windows vista ultimate/business/enterprise. It doesn't run on premium.

January 11, 2008 8:38 AM

srini said:

Hello Andy:

Vista Home Premium does not have an option for Windows Authentication. Hence SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services cannot be installed. I am trying to install the SSRS Dev Edition and it will not work cause of this. Very frustrating cause it worked with Windows XP and not I cannot run SSRS on my new laptop, duh ;-(

-Srini

May 14, 2008 9:21 AM

Clay101 said:

Hello,

I have followed the above steps very close, I am running Vista Buisness 64 bit.

I am unable to get past the ASP error.

Could their be something else blocking the ASP?

July 18, 2008 6:39 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Clay,

I haven't tried this on Vista Business 64-bit, so I'm not sure.

Apologies,

Andy

July 18, 2008 6:58 PM

Steve said:

Glad you got it to work.

Guess 'if it works on your machine, we must all be idiots'

Thanks Andy

August 1, 2008 8:32 AM

andyleonard said:

Hi Steve,

Goodness, I hope I didn't give anyone that impression. If you're having issues I'll be happy to try to help. Please contact me directly using the Email link on the upper right side of this blog.

I apologize for sounding like I think anyone is an idiot.

I don't feel that way at all. We're all learning. I have a post about me learning here (http://sqlblog.com/blogs/andy_leonard/archive/2008/07/30/virtualization-x64-a-red-laptop-and-blue-screens.aspx). I don't think I was an idiot. But I did make some incorrect assumptions and acted on them - to the tune of $200 USD out of pocket. :| I think that's part of life and learning, and I'm still learning stuff.

Please let me know if I can help.

:{> Andy

August 1, 2008 1:12 PM

arshi said:

September 5, 2008 1:48 PM

ID said:

I just got new machine running vista Home Premium,all effort to install SSRS 2005 proved abortive.Can someone gives an helping hand?

September 8, 2008 4:14 AM

andyleonard said:

Hi ID,

Earlier in these comments bisi reported SSRS will not run on Premium. Srini also reported there was no option for Windows Auth in Premium. I'm not sure, I'm running Ultimate on my machines here. You may need to upgrade from Premium to run SSRS.

Hope this helps,

Andy

September 8, 2008 5:33 AM

srkvellanki said:

Hi Everyone,

First I installed Visual Studio 2005, latter uninstalled SQL Server Express as i want  to install SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition and

applied SP1 for Visual Studio 2005.Installed IIS Pre-requisites as in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934164

Then i installed Complete SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition along with Reporting Services,Analysis services,Integration

services etc on Vista Ultimate 64 Bit,it installed successfully without any errors.I am facing problems when running the URL

http://localhost/reportserver , the error displayed is as follows.Looking forward for a solution,thanking you in advance.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden

You have attempted to run a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow executables to run.

Thanking in advance

Sri

January 27, 2009 1:37 PM

andyleonard said:

Hi Sri,

I'm not sure if this the issue or not, but I usually start SSRS in http://localhost/reports , not http://localhost/reportserver .

Hope this helps,

Andy

January 27, 2009 2:16 PM

Robert Macnair said:

Everything went fine for me once I ensured my Settings were as the original post.

Installed SQL Server 2005 x64 (all components) on Vista Business x64 and it works like a charm.

Just my two cents.

March 5, 2009 5:30 AM

Chris H said:

I am running SQL Server 2008 and Reporting Services on an XP Home machine and therefore I cannot access http://localhost/Reports

However you can get some functionality if you can access Reporting Services Configuration Manager. this has two URLs I publish to the web Service URL and the reports are found at the Report Manager URL.

This is found at Start/All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server 200?/Configuration Tools

I was reading this as I am looking to change PC and wanted to get the full functionality upon changing

Hope this helps

October 7, 2009 9:14 AM

subandi said:

Iam uses sql server 2005 and reporting services on Windows 7 ultimate. virtual directory reports and reportserver created at instalation. when running localhost/reports or localhost/reportserver erorr and reporting services configuration error

July 7, 2010 9:49 PM