Andy Leonard

Andy Leonard is an author and engineer who enjoys building and automating data integration solutions. Andy is co-host of the Data Driven podcast. Andy is no longer updating this blog. His current blog is AndyLeonard.blog.

Database Professionals: An Enterprise Requirement

This blog has moved! You can find this content at the following new location:

Published Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:53 PM by andyleonard

Comments

WesleyB said:

Amen!

I thought this problem only existed in Belgium.

July 13, 2007 6:19 AM

a.m. said:

If everyone hired competent DBAs, we (consultants) would be out of the job ;-)

July 13, 2007 8:36 AM

Denis Gobo said:

>>If everyone hired competent DBAs, we (consultants) would be out of the job ;-)

In that case you would be working as a full time employee instead of a consultant  ;-)

July 13, 2007 9:09 AM

a.m. said:

Wouldn't that mean that I'd have to be a competent DBA?

July 13, 2007 9:19 AM

Denis Gobo said:

>>Wouldn't that mean that I'd have to be a competent DBA?

You probably need to be a hybrid DBA

A DBA/DB Developer will become the Prius of computer programmers

you need to know:

Administration

DB Design

T-SQL

SSIS

SSAS

SSRS

SQLCLR

.....

...

Yes you are more expensive than just a DBA or just a developer but the company will getter mileage out of you, just like comparing a prius with a VW Jetta (Bora for those in Europe). A Prius is more expensive but gets better mileage (Jetta TDI doesn't count)

Denis

July 13, 2007 9:32 AM

a.m. said:

I want to be the Humvee of computer programmers... Burn lots and lots of fuel, but can take a few bullets, ride over rough terrain, and go where others can't, when necessary <g>

July 13, 2007 9:47 AM

Denis Gobo said:

Are you saying you want to be Agile?

July 13, 2007 9:49 AM

a.m. said:

Hmm, is a Humvee really agile?  Agile sounds to me like one of those water/land vehicles :)

July 13, 2007 10:48 AM

Andy Leonard said:

Eric Wise drew some heat from the developer community at CodeBetter.com with this post about the need

July 13, 2007 9:14 PM

Chris Harmon said:

I agree with the need for a hybrid, but I'm from the software programming side and would so classify it as a hybrid programmer, with solid programming skills AND DB development skills (but including tuning/troubleshooting/maybe SSIS). Where I have in the past grumbled is when I have to venture far into what I consider "DBA territory"... which brings me to a recent story:

A few months back I was looking for a new job, and interviewed for one looking for a ".NET/SQL Server Programmer". Interviewing went well, but it was obvious to the interviewers that my skills were more heavy on the development side (but solid for .NET as well as SQL Server), but it turns out they were looking for someone with very thorough DBA skills! If it wasn't clear, I didn't get the offer but about a month later, I saw in a posting to the local Richmond SQL Server UG a guy they did end up hiring looking for anyone to provide guidance on getting .NET experience, because he had none but really needed it :)

Where I now work at, it kind of is a mix with only a few programmers and a DBA. We all work together including the database side of development... we are kind-of all becoming hybrids together I guess.

July 16, 2007 7:55 AM

James Luetkehoelter said:

Personally I'd like to see the titles "database developer", "DBA", "Production DBA", etc., go away entirely. I like just "database professional" that specializes in certain areas. There are just way too many things that "hook" into a database to isolate that knowledge into a single job role. I'd love to see us all understand a portion of what the other does, a sort of cascading overlap in job descriptions/responsibilities.

Unfortunately, I think it unlikely to change any time soon. Sigh...

July 16, 2007 11:41 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Today I gave two talks at New England Code Camp 8 . A fun experience as always, and for those of you

September 29, 2007 4:08 PM

Peter W. DeBetta said:

K. Brian Kelley - Andy blogs at SQLblog.com (not SQLblogS.com - a defunct site)

February 22, 2008 4:57 PM