Andrew Kelly

SSMS release 16.4 is now available

The newest release of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is now available. The details and download link can be found here. If you haven’t already downloaded or tried the new SSMS I highly recommend getting it and giving it a whirl. With the new release cycles we will see new features and bug fixes on a regular basis. Enjoy.

Andy

Published Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:53 PM by Andrew Kelly

Comments

BarneyL said:

It's not an update I'd recommend at this point. The ability to generate alter scripts on objects is broken at present meaning you can't modify stored procedures, views etc.

September 21, 2016 9:39 AM

Andrew Kelly said:

Interesting. I just chose a procedure and right clicked and said Modify and got the error as well. But if you use the generate scripts option from the tasks menu it scripts without errors. It's a longer winded approach but can certainly get you buy until they fix this.

September 21, 2016 2:06 PM

Adam Machanic said:

I'm just curious how something like that breaks and the thing gets through testing and out the door... Seems indicative of a deeper issue with regard to the development process.

September 21, 2016 3:24 PM

Andy Mallon said:

If you script as CREATE, it works fine. Interesting that the "Modify" and "Script as Alter" options are both messed up, but CREATE works.

I actually *always* script as CREATE, and manually change to ALTER when I'm ready to run it. Because I've accidentally run the alter when my changes were half-baked and caused myself a problem. But I guess I'm a little unique there.

September 21, 2016 3:32 PM

Brandon Leach said:

Yeah.. Thats a no go for me. I'll wait until they fix it before updating.

September 21, 2016 4:57 PM

Shane O'Neill said:

It also works if you use sp_helptext. At least there's no more System.OutOfMemoryExceptions

September 22, 2016 4:40 AM

Dany Van den Steen said:

Microsoft pulled back this version

There is a known issue with the SSMS 16.4 release and we have rolled back the download to SSMS 16.3. We will update the download link when the issue has been resolved.

see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

September 22, 2016 6:08 AM

Jon said:

It's been updated to 16.4.1, and the Modify/Script as alter bug is fixed.

@Adam - This new monthly release cadence clearly has some testing/QA challenges to overcome.  I'm enjoying the concept of a more frequent release cycle - but the execution is causing some grey hairs. :)

September 24, 2016 9:12 AM

andyleonard said:

For those looking: v16.4.1 is available at the link Dany provided (and I copied) above.

Developing and testing software is hard. Thanks for fixing this release so quickly, SQL Server Team!

:{>

September 24, 2016 2:35 PM

Chad Toney said:

Anybody else get this error when trying to install v16.4.1?

"Setup Failed

Incorrect Function: (0x80070001)"

September 24, 2016 9:26 PM

Gabriel Avila said:

Got the same error at install Incorrect function (0x80070001).

September 29, 2016 11:41 AM

look at this site said:

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

June 13, 2017 5:20 AM