Andrew Kelly

SQL 2008 R2 Enhancement

The additions or changes in SQL Server 2008 R2 are mostly BI related but there is one I just became aware of that serves a more general purpose but at the same time is fundamental in how the storage engine works related to locking.  I won’t rehash (pun intended) what Sunil Agarwal wrote in the below listed blog but in a nut shell they rewrote how the hashing algorithm for calculating lock values and got rid of almost all the potential collisions. While this is one of those features that most people will never hear about we should give Kudos to the team for improving such a fundamental part of the engine.

Published Monday, February 01, 2010 7:01 PM by Andrew Kelly
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Jimmy May, Aspiring Geek said:

This enhancement had escaped my attention.  Great news, indeed, Andy.  Thanks for letting us know.

February 2, 2010 9:57 AM

Holger Schmeling said:

Yes hat's great news, indeed. But I feel, MSFT should have told us a littler earlier about the problem, and not only now, where they proudly present the improvment/solution with R2. Keeping existing problems as a secret is not always honorable.

February 2, 2010 11:38 AM

Andrew Kelly said:

Holger,

I am not sure what problem you are refering to. This is an enhancement not a bug fix. The old way worked and was not a problem per say. Like many features in the product that get enhanced or improved.

February 2, 2010 11:47 AM

Holger Schmeling said:

Andrew,

Ok, may be my words sound too harsh. English is not my mother tongue, so let me point this out: I didn't want to attack or offend MSFT, but I ran into those locking problems in the past, and if I only knew about this behavior at that time. I'm not talking about a bug here, am I? It's just the somewhat insufficient information that I'm complaining about. No more. And, once again: I love this improvement!

February 2, 2010 11:59 AM

Andrew Kelly said:

OK I see what you mean.  The old behaviour with the many collisions probably could have been better documented for sure but it was never a secret. Hopefully R2 will help you in this regard. Good Luck.

February 2, 2010 12:11 PM