Andrew Kelly

[OT] To Tweet or Not to Tweet…

Last night I acted like a Twit and joined Twitter (@GunneyK) and now I am not sure if that was a good idea or not :).  For one I have no clue what it’s really all about, I am not even sure I know how to even reply properly:).  And once I figure it all out will I even have time to keep up with it. The lack of time is the main reason I never got into FaceBook even though I have lots of friends and relatives there.  Same here with the blogs.  But I have to wonder how do all of you keep up with it all these days. Does anyone get any sleep anymore…

Published Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:35 AM by Andrew Kelly
Filed under:

Comments

RickHeiges said:

I joined twitter earlier this year too.  I used it daily for about a month or so and joined the bandwagon.  Then I went to a client site where Twitter was blocked and I fell off the bandwagon.  Really haven't used it much lately, but I find that it is useful to help build relationships with others.  The thing that really made me reduce my usage was that more often than not, I'd have to log back in instead of remembering my username/password (even though I told it to do so).  I have heard about some applications that enhance the usage and will keep you logged in, but I haven't wanted to invest the time/energy to do it.

I wiill probably try it again soon as TechEd is approaching.  I found it useful at conferences to find out what is going on or what sessions people are in and the feedback.

May 3, 2009 10:55 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Rick, the apps for your iPhone / Blackberry / Win Mobile (if you have one of those) are far better than using the web site, and other than installing and setting them up once, there is not really all that much to invest.  Plus the client can't block your phone's network.

May 3, 2009 11:13 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Andy, check out this link (and follow the links from it):

As for keeping up, it's all about filters.  If you try to follow everyone under the sun, you can be overwhelmed and quite quickly feel like you're always behind.  It's kind of like TiVo/DVR, if you record every show on TV, you're never going to be able to watch them all, unless you have that new model that is connected to your corporate SAN.  Instead you need to keep the people you follow reasonable.

May 3, 2009 11:16 AM

AaronBertrand said:

Forgot the link, DUH.

May 3, 2009 11:17 AM

gdm said:

I've had the same experience..I've been on the net since the early days and have a computer at hand at work and at home.  I just don't see the necessity of having to be in constant communication about every little thing.  It becomes more of an annoyance and time-suck than anything else.  In the "old days" one spent a day or a few hours away from one's loved ones, and then had some nice conversation about their day when they reunited.  What is the value of getting constant tweets like "Having a great day!" or "just had a great sandwich"?

While sitting in a darkened movie theatre do you *really* need to open up your brightly-glowing phone to see what text message you just got?

I saw a classic just yesterday..in the theatre bathroom after the movie got out..a young guy standing at a urinal, holding his cellphone screen up in front of his face with his right hand while his left hand was busy...well you get the picture.

May 3, 2009 5:42 PM

Linchi Shea said:

I don't tweet, and don't know much about Twitter. But I have always been wondering if I'm missing out on something ever since I listned to Stephen Colbert being interviewed by Meredith Viera.

May 3, 2009 8:47 PM

MikeWalsh said:

Tweetdeck is the way to go, Andy. I agree with Aaron and the filters.

I would even go a step further... I use Facebook primarily for friends and family though a few SQL people have snuck on there. Twitter I use for informal, SLAless contacts. I will pop onto tweetdeck and look at the "friends" group (this is a filter for people I tend to converse with, like what they say, related to, etc.) and the all tweets group. If I see something interesting (invariably I will) I'll reply. Then I close tweetdeck. I use it for a break. Sometimes I'll get up and walk around the building, sometimes I'll see what's happening on twitter.

I've helped and been helped on some SQL issues before. No one expects or demands a response or acknowledgment on twitter (or at least they shouldn't :) ) I probably spend maybe 30 minutes a day reading/replying to tweets. The rest of the time tweetdeck is either off, or on a different machine, ignored.

May 4, 2009 10:24 AM

GrumpyOldDBA said:

I've never had any interest, I have a blog for which I struggle to find time. If I want to communicate with "friends" I prefer speech or face to face ( and sometimes email ) I worry that upcoming generations will lack interpersonal social skills.

May 7, 2009 4:38 AM