Allen White

Tech Ed Demos for "Manage SQL Server System and Performance Data with PowerShell"

This morning I presented my session Manage SQL Server System and Performance Data with PowerShell at Tech Ed NA in New Orleans. We had a good sized audience who were very responsive and had many great questions. I had a great time presenting and the feedback I've gotten so far tells me the audience enjoyed it as well.

I really appreciate everyone's coming out for the session and look forward to doing it again at Tech Ed Europe in Madrid later this month.  I've attached the slide deck and demos for everyone to try out.

Allen

Published Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:33 PM by AllenMWhite

Attachment(s): DBI-B203_White.zip

Comments

Ken Ingram said:

Really enjoyed your presentation yesterday. Followed your advice and walked over the MS area and asked about PowerShell remoting. Got the skinny on that and the plans for PS 4.0.

June 5, 2013 7:12 PM

Jan Cornelius Andersen said:

great stuff Allen. your demos just nailed something I tried to do, but didn't have time for. Looking forward to implementing this back home. Thanks

June 8, 2013 10:36 AM

Daria Bullock said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this session. It's been what I have been looking to do for a long time. Manage SQL via the powershell for the various tasks I need to perform daily or on demand. Thanks so much and I'll be looking for you at future sessions. Enjoy Madrid.

June 13, 2013 9:48 AM

Argenis said:

Thanks for sharing, Allen - this is great stuff.

June 14, 2013 2:08 PM

Rob said:

Thanks for this it is excellent. I'm no powershell expert but am I right in thinking that the getperf.ps1 script must exist and run on every server you want to collect data from and can't be executed from a Central Management Server against a remote server? Thanks.

August 30, 2013 9:22 AM

AllenMWhite said:

Thanks, Rob. You can run the script against a remote server. I've found that it's fine for up to about three servers, but gets bogged down beyond that. I generally just run it on each server, sending the data to a central database for reporting. (I put it in an Agent job that starts automatically whenever SQL Server is restarted.)

August 30, 2013 9:56 AM

Rob said:

Thanks Allen that's helpful to know, I can't see where it connects to the remote server in the script but I think I just need to read through it a few more times!! thanks again

August 30, 2013 10:45 AM

AllenMWhite said:

The $srv parameter you supply on the command line connects to the Windows Server and finds all SQL Server instances running on that machine. The testing I've done with multiple servers involved changing the script to supply a list of server names. It's better to just run one per machine, per my earlier comment.

August 30, 2013 11:00 AM

Aussie John said:

I seem to be missing a couple of tables, Analysis.DatabaseUsage and Analysis.DiskUsage. How do these get created? I've created twelve tables in the Analysis schema, using the scripts you kindly provided in the zip file. Thanks.

October 12, 2013 1:34 AM

Manoj Kumar S said:

Hi Allen,

It would be helpful for us if we have a step by step document on how to deploy the SSRS reports.

Thanks

November 7, 2013 11:06 AM

Brahma said:

This is what I am looking for.

Thanks Allen :)