Allen White

SQL 2008 SMO - Doing a Little Rearranging

In browsing through the SQL Server 2008 SMO Object Library I noticed there are a couple of additional DLL's. For example, the SQL Server WMI Management objects, formerly in Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo.dll, are now in Microsoft.SqlServer.SqlWmiManagement.dll. There's also a new one called Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended.dll. I took a look in there and found this list of objects, which have been removed from Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo.dll:

SmoExtended Objects

• Restore
  • RestoreActionType
  • SqlVerifyAction
  • Transfer
  • VerifyCompleteEventArgs
  • VerifyCompleteEventHandler

This means that if you are doing backup or data transfer operations through SMO you'll have to be sure to add references in your projects to the SmoExtended dll in SQL Server 2008.

I expect there will be more changes as updated CTP's are released.

Allen

• Published Friday, October 19, 2007 3:36 PM by AllenMWhite
    Filed under: ,

Comments

Allen White said:

While preparing for a presentation at PASS next month I tested my PowerShell script to back up user databases

October 18, 2008 12:36 PM

Allen White said:

Errors occur. (I'm sure that's someone's corollary to Stuff Happens.) Errors occur, and that's why we

November 24, 2008 11:38 AM

Neil Bostrom said:

Legend!

Been hunting around trying to find where they moved Transfer!

December 3, 2008 10:40 AM

Allen White said:

A year ago in anticipation of publishing a book on SMO (which never came to be) I wrote a number of chapters

February 20, 2009 9:17 AM

Tony O said:

Your mention of the need to reference to SmoExtended dll helped alot.

June 23, 2009 10:30 AM

RowlandG said:

HI Allen,

I've written occaisionally and know what a large personal investment that is. I've also had a publisher go bankrupt during the process ;)

You should consier an e-book on your SMO work -- I'll be your first customer! Just make it in PDF format.

August 5, 2009 8:22 AM