Alexander Kuznetsov

Staying with Subversion or going for Git?

I have just attended an excellent presentation on Git, delivered by Scott Chacon , a well-known Git expert. The presentation was excellent: practical recommendations, without marketing, without glossing over problems.

I have been using Subversion to store my SQL since at least 2006, probably earlier, 2005-ish. I am quite happy with it. Subversion does everything I need, does not have unnecessary features which get in my way when I need to do something real quick, and it is rock solid. Yet we always need to look for better solutions even when we like our current tools.

Git seems to have the same advantages as Subversion: it was designed by developers and for developers, it's incredibly simple, intuitive, and rock solid. Both are open source projects (not an advantage, just a fact).

Scott Chacon claims that merging and branching with Git are simpler that with Subversion, and it definitely seems worth trying it out. Yet I did not get the impression that Git is dramatically better than Subversion, so I am not going to try it out right away.

Published Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:29 PM by Alexander Kuznetsov

Comments

Jordan said:

That's too bad - a lot of why DVCS (e.g. Git) is better doesn't become obvious until you start using it in day to day scenarios...

September 10, 2010 11:50 AM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

Jordan,

I understand that Git is an excellent choice, and most likely is the way to go in the long term. I will definitely give it a try soon. For now I will read the book "Pro Git".

September 10, 2010 12:07 PM

Joe Kuemerle said:

If you are interested in looking at different DVCS options you should also definitely check our Mercurial.  It is conceptually similar to Git but much friendlier for those of use who use Windows day in and day our as our primary Operating System.

September 13, 2010 1:01 PM

Jonathan Gardner said:

It would be very helpful if there was a Git plugin for SSMS.

September 13, 2010 3:58 PM

Alexander Kuznetsov said:

@Joe,

Thank you for the suggestion.

In "Tech Talk: Linus Torvalds on git", Linus said that Mercurial is very good, but he himself prefers Git. This is why I want to try out Git first.

@Jonathan,

RIght now all my T-SQL is incorporated into a VS solution together with its unit tests, so I would need a Git plugin for VS.

Currently I am using VisualSVN to simplify access to Subversion.

September 13, 2010 4:20 PM

About Alexander Kuznetsov

Alex Kuznetsov has been working with object oriented languages, mostly C# and C++, as well as with databases for more than a decade. He has worked with Sybase, SQL Server, Oracle and DB2. He regularly blogs on sqlblog.com, mostly about database unit testing, defensive programming, and query optimization. Alex has written a book entitled "Defensive Database Programming with Transact-SQL" and several articles on simple-talk.com and devx.com. Currently he works at DRW Trading Group in Chicago, where he leads a team of developers, practicing agile development, defensive programming, TDD, and database unit testing.