Alberto Ferrari

Visio Forward Engineer Addin for Office 2010

Most of my database model are written with Visio. I don’t want to start a digression whether Visio is good or not to build a simple data model: Visio is enogh for my modeling needs and customers love its colours and the ability to open the model with Office when I need to discuss it with them. When I have finished modeling, I generate the database and everything works fine.

Nevertheless, Microsoft seems not to like the forward engineer capabilities of Visio. The last release that supports forward engineering is the Enterprise Architect version of Visio 2003, which requires Visual Studio 2005 to be installed on the box. Since I am really tired to install old releases of Visio just to perform forward engineer (moreover, the 2003 release does not support the new data types) I decided it was time to follow the standard approach to Microsoft products: “if Microsoft does not help, do not ask, do it by yourself”.

Thus, I wrote an Office add-in that performs forward engineer of a Visio database model to SQL Server. It does not support any other database driver and has some big limitations, since the library that should let programmers have access to the underlying Visio data model is non documented and full of uninplemented interfaces. Thus, I needed to collect information over the web, searching for people who tried the same before me. Nevertheless, for a standard data model it works fine and saves me to the need to install old software on new computers. :)

It has two basic functions, available through a new ribbon:

image

• Validate Data Model simply asks the model to validate. I have not found a way to give a feedback whether the model has been correctly validated or not, it is up to you to check if any error appears in the output window… nevertheless, better than nothing.
  • Forward engineer opens a very simple dialog box from which you can choose the database name, some options and then generate the SQL script. I personally love the option to open the script directly after generation, so that SSMS pops up and I can create the database.

image

The add-in is still in beta, it needs Office 2010 and has been written with Visual Studio 2010, .NET 4.0. If you are interested in testing it you can download the first beta here.

The nice part of the story is that, without any previous knowledge of Office programming and no knowledge at all of the Visio internals, it took me roughly one day from the idea and some hints found on the web to the working add-in and it has been a nice arena for me to try VS 2010… I wonder why Microsoft still refuses to add this feature to Visio, they have much better programmers than me, after all I am a BI guy.

Comments welcome, of course. :)

Published Friday, April 16, 2010 3:03 PM by AlbertoFerrari

Comments

Davide Mauri said:

Cool Alberto, sounds really interesting!

April 19, 2010 1:09 PM

Scott said:

Hey - I am very interested in not only running this but also maybe even contributing.  However, I am unable to install it right now.  The exception I receive is:

I tried adding the Temporary_Key.pfx as a Trusted publisher both at the machine level and the user lever, as well as adding the folder location to the list of trusted locations in Office.

Any other suggestions?

April 27, 2010 7:05 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

Scott, this is my first Visio add-in, so I honestly don't know the detaila about installation, all what I have done is to click on "publish" to generate a setup, clearly the stuff is more complicated.

You can try to create a new key for the project, so that you can open the code and update it, in the meantime I will try to understand how to make it "setuppable" searching on the web for some hints.

You are not the only guy who found this problem, so it seems that the fault is definitely mine. :)

BTW: send me an e-mail (alberto dot ferrari at sqlbi dot com), so that we can try to solve the issue together.

Alberto

April 28, 2010 1:29 AM

Curt said:

You Kick ASS!!!!

May 25, 2010 9:45 PM

Curt said:

I received the same error as above and was able to get passed it by rebuilding & publishing on my local machine.

May 26, 2010 2:42 PM

AbercrombieLV said:

Hey Alberto,

You two do great things. First, you gave SQL types some insight into the metadata we need to keep our eye on in order for this to work. That's importnat when new versions come out because I here some methods of obtaining metadata are depreciated so we DBAs need to look at this code and be able to rework it when we need to. Second, you made it an office add-in. Ubiquitous, universal. I'm a DBA that does app code as well so I appreciate your attempt to bridge a gap Microsoft has left wide open. It's probably one of the reasons tools like Erwin are still out there. In Microsoft's defense though, even Erwin is not perfect for forward engineering as it relies heavliy on the drop and create. I've actually written tools/scripts to handle these scenarios and preserve data (which is why I appreciate your swan dive in to the metadata for the addin you wrote).

June 2, 2010 11:51 AM

Cliff said:

Nice plugin. I am not sure I will be able to use it (will need permissions to 1) install visio 2010 and 2, install a beta software) but I suggest you add this to CodePlex as an opensource project. There could be great benefit to an open project for those of us that like using Visio and you will likely get some contributors to improve the plugin (additional databases and new functionality)

June 4, 2010 10:30 AM

JC said:

I just wanted to thank you for this tool. It did the job and even helped find some errors in my diagram. As far as installing, I just had to build the project in VS 2010 and it ran perfectly.

June 24, 2010 7:52 PM

NJ said:

Intallation failed on Windows 7 indicating that one of the files was not compatible. Has anyone been able to run it on Windows 7?

June 30, 2010 10:25 PM

DS said:

Great work, excellent tool, just what I was looking for. Runs on Windows 7 64 bit. Just rebuild and publish, then install.

July 13, 2010 7:15 PM

Brent Long said:

Excellent job Alberto.  Thanks for this great tool that's going to be in my toolbox for a long time since MS has intentionally crippled yet another one of its products.  This was a snap!  All I did was build the project, start Visio 2010 and BAM!  New ribbon.  Validation worked great once I set the target to SQL Server.  Thanks again!  BTW: Love the cars your family builds. :)

July 15, 2010 10:39 AM

Ray said:

I cannot get this to install on WIndows 7. Keep getting the error "The following solution cannot be loaded because Microsoft Office support for the .NET Framework 4.0 is not installed: SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto.". I had only Visio 2010 installed (and Office 2007). but I just installed the full OFfice 2010 and .Net Framework 4.0, and I'm still getting this error? How do I get the Office support for .Net 4.0 installed on my machine so I can install this plug-in?

July 15, 2010 2:52 PM

Ray said:

Okay, I found the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for the Office System 4.0 Runtime in the MSDN subscriber downloads and got past the error about Microsoft Office support for the .NET Framework 4.0 not being installed. Now, I get a different error:

Clicking on the Details button gives more info:

Name: SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer

From: file:///C:/publish/SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto

************** Exception Text **************

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///C:/publish/Application Files/SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer_1_0_0_2/Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy did not succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find file 'C:\publish\Application Files\SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer_1_0_0_2\Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find file 'C:\publish\Application Files\SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer_1_0_0_2\Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy'. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\publish\Application Files\SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer_1_0_0_2\Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)

at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)

at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

July 15, 2010 3:06 PM

Ray said:

Okay, I found the Office Support for .Net 4.0 on MSDN subscriber downloads, and that got rid of the "Microsoft Office support for the .NET Framework 4.0 is not installed" error message, but then it was still failing with an error "Could not find file 'C:\publish\Application Files\SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer_1_0_0_2\Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll.deploy'."

I finally gave in and downloaded Visual Studio 2010 Pro, rebuilt the project, and republished it and it installed just fine. This Add-in is awesome - just what Visio 2010 needs. The real question is, why the heck can't (or won't) Microsoft provide this functionality in Visio?

July 15, 2010 6:58 PM

Iurii said:

Excellent!

It worked without any problems.

Very useful add-in.

July 23, 2010 1:47 PM

Eskay said:

Great stuff. Works a treat. Thanks.

July 28, 2010 10:03 AM

Mike P said:

This is excellent - installed like a charm, and did everything required from the Visio model.

Thanks so much!

August 2, 2010 9:19 PM

Paul M said:

Brilliant ! Worked first time and saved me hours of typing in SQL Server Management Studio. My most valued add-in for Office by a long way. It's also worth highlighting the value of the Validate Data Model option during the development phase to highlight silly errors, and save even more time. Cheers Alberto.

August 13, 2010 3:37 AM

Dave B said:

Seems to work great.

Thanks much.

Still can't figure out why MS did away with this.

August 16, 2010 10:34 AM

Mauricio Cadena said:

This is really awesome!!!

August 19, 2010 3:26 PM

Christian said:

Hi!

I wanted to check out your add in today with Visio 2010 Professional, downloaded from the MSDNAA service, running on Windows 7 32bit, but never managed to make the add-in start successfully.

After initial problems to even run the setup script in the "publish" folder, I managed to get it installed via the above mentioned installation of the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for the Office System 4.0 Runtime (x86 version).

One major problem for me is that I can't even check due to which reason the add-in fails to load. I tried to set the environment variables VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS (on the command line -> "SET VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS=0") and VSTO_LOGALERTS=1, but that doesn't change anything.

Currently I do not have Visual Studio installed.

Any ideas how to further proceed?

Kind regards

Chris

August 26, 2010 12:55 PM

Alex said:

Hi,

I've managed to install your add-in but I cannot get it to Load.

In the Add-Ins manager, I am seeing the following message at the bottom:

Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

This seems to be the same problem Christian is having.

My specs: Vista 32bit, .NET framework 4 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86) installed, Visio 2010 premium (installed as a stand alone rather than as part of an MS Office suite). I've made sure that visio doesn't require add-ins to be signed by a trusted publisher.

I do not have Visual Studio installed.

Anyone else running into this problem, found a work-around, or can one of you who have had success with this Add-In possibly post your install procedure and specs?

Alex

September 24, 2010 4:24 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

Alex, Christian

Please drop me an e-mail at alberto dot ferrari at sqlbi dot com, I will send you the latest release, which should be installable without the need to recompile it with Visual Studio.

Hopefully this will solve your issues.

Alberto

September 24, 2010 4:30 PM

Matt said:

Error on the link to your add in.

October 10, 2010 9:49 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

Matt,

Sorry fot this, the website has some problems, we are working on it, please try later.

Thanks for the feedback.

October 11, 2010 1:26 AM

Matt said:

I was able to get it downloaded.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate you building this tool!  It's freakin' fantastic!  I have missed it so much since Enterprise Architects.

October 12, 2010 7:27 PM

Alberto Ferrari said:

You know, I love Visio to develop simple databases and I have written a Visio add-in that performs the

October 19, 2010 6:54 AM

AlbertoFerrari said:

To @ALL:

Last version, 1.1 is available on the SQLBI site, it should address the installation problems you have faced, I tested on a machine without Visual Studio and Visio only installed, it worked fine.

Have fun

October 19, 2010 7:05 AM

rms said:

Just a note of thanks! I am currently in a db class making ER diagrams. I could not believe it when  Visio could not output SQL. What the heck is MS thinking? Just when I am amazed at win7, they have to make this kind of incomprehensible decision? Hey maybe you could sell your addin to the MS Visio team for $1,000,000 :-). They obviously do not have very bright management! Thanks again!

October 19, 2010 8:50 AM

JonnyBoats said:

Great tool, thank you!

Installed an ran perfectly on my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine with 64 bit Visio 2010.

John Tarbox

October 20, 2010 3:44 PM

Mark Tassin said:

What can I say Alberto,

You have returned a feature that originally caused me to love Visio prior to Microsoft buying it.  I had dispaired that Microsoft removed this feature from the easiest modeling tool I have ever used.

Thank you so much for bringing it back to me!

November 4, 2010 11:06 AM

CRM said:

Cool, Thanks Alberto.

November 15, 2010 5:00 PM

Peter Giblin said:

Downloaded & installed it. Looks the business & intend to use it for real in the next few weeks.

November 26, 2010 9:37 AM

Chris said:

Thanks a million!  I can't believe that Visio doesn't at least support SQL Server integration.  Way to go!

December 5, 2010 12:37 AM

Christoph said:

Thanks a lot. Great Tool. Unzipped, rebuild, published and installed on a Windows 7 64-bit Machine. Worked fine!

December 20, 2010 9:51 AM

Stijn said:

Downloaded, installed, works perfectly, thanks!

December 22, 2010 2:07 AM

Suzanne Jackowski said:

I had to build it myself (got the cert error with the Publish .exe), but that was simple and it worked great!  Thanks so much!

December 24, 2010 1:23 AM

JEL said:

Very nice. This saved me the day or so you put into it and all the followup hours.

December 28, 2010 12:10 PM

Paul Midgley said:

Brilliant!

January 3, 2011 5:09 AM

Stephan Lindner said:

Hi Alberto,

what a great tool! If only I could install it. I'm using Win 7 64bit and Office 2010 32 bit, Visio Premium 2010. I get this error during installation. I believe if I rebuild it using Visual Studio 2010, it will work (but VS 2010 is difficult to get for me).

Installing Office customization

There was an error during installation.

Name: SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer

From: file:///C:/Data/SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer/SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer/publish/SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer.vsto

************** Exception Text **************

System.Security.SecurityException: Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for SqlBi.Visio.ForwardEngineer or its location is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance.

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustPromptKeyInternal(ClickOnceTrustPromptKeyValue promptKeyValue, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustUsingPromptKey(Uri manifest, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.VerifySecurity(ActivationContext context, Uri manifest, AddInInstallationStatus installState)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

The Zone of the assembly that failed was:

MyComputer

January 13, 2011 7:43 AM

Paulo Ates said:

Same error as above, have enabled non trusted addins and added the location of the install files to trusted location, still no joy.

win7 32bit, visio 2010 32 bit

any advice ?

January 19, 2011 2:14 PM

Gary said:

Very nice!

It doesn't create triggers though...

January 22, 2011 10:22 AM

Simon said:

It doesn't script UDF's, Stored procedures as well as not doing Triggers.

Any chance of getting it to do these also ?

Well done...... good tool.

January 24, 2011 4:45 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

@Simon,

Unfortunately, the dll I use to gather data from Visio is very limited, most of the interfaces exposed return errors as if it has been developed quickly and without the real will to let programmers interact with the Visio internals. Moreover, it is not documented anywhere.

What we have now is the best I succeeded in finding by myself. Moreover, I don't have any hope that something can change in the future... unless Microsoft will read this post, which is something they don't do.

I would post an item on Connect but, AFAIK, I cannot post suggestions to the Office dev team.

January 25, 2011 2:11 AM

Frode Magnussen said:

Genious tool Alberto. Will save me lots of work in the future.

Thanks

Frode M.

January 25, 2011 6:26 AM

Alex said:

Good stuff. Saved me a lot of leg work!

January 26, 2011 1:33 PM

gianluca said:

Work fine thanks

February 4, 2011 12:13 PM

Gary said:

Awesome!

Anyone added to it yet? I need a couple of features

February 4, 2011 3:06 PM

Lucio said:

you saved days of work to me because i did not want to believe that the ddl generation was being stripped off from Visio 2010.

It worked as a breeze, and i did not ever need to install the whole Office 2010 but just the Visio itself.

Keep it running Alberto, you have fans!

February 10, 2011 2:39 AM

Marco said:

You rock!  Good job.

February 17, 2011 12:31 AM

Josue said:

Great tool Alberto!! You really saved my ass, i completed a whole about 50 tables ERD using Visio 2010 and i didn't realize it couldn't generate the script until i was done, cab approvals and the like.

I can't thank you enough! You should enable paypal donations or so...

February 18, 2011 10:17 PM

Mario said:

Great tool,

how about creating a project on codeplex in order to make this tool grow?

Thanks

February 21, 2011 4:22 AM

Simone said:

Brilliant! Thank you very much.

March 10, 2011 2:44 PM

Adam Padgett said:

Per the error that a lot of people are getting regarding the trust or certificate in Vista or Windows 7, it's a very simple problem and isn't the developer's fault. Simply right-click the zipfile, click "Unblock", click "OK", unzip, then execute.

March 21, 2011 12:15 PM

Adam Padgett said:

BTW - Thank you Alberto! This is definitely what I was looking for an is a viable solution for myself; it will be much used.

March 21, 2011 12:18 PM

Alberto Ferrari said:

As you might already know I have written an add-in for Microsoft Visio 2010 which makes it able to forward

March 23, 2011 12:15 PM

Bret said:

Just wanted to add a note of thanks - I had to re-publish like the others above, but it works well.  I appreciate you making this available.

March 29, 2011 2:28 PM

dfpp said:

That looks very promising.

Are you going to work on an Add-in for Access 2010 as well?

April 3, 2011 1:06 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

@dfpp, the project is now on codeplex, in better hands than mine. I think they are developing oer drivers like Oracle and maybe access.

@everybodyelse thanks a lot for all your comments, very rewarding!

April 3, 2011 2:20 PM

James Luetkehoelter said:

You rock Alberto. Pretty weasely of them to take it out of 2010. Apparently MS assumes that data modeling should only happen at the Visual Studio level now? Sigh...

April 13, 2011 4:33 PM

joe said:

Awesome tool! Thank you so much, you are the greatest.  Cheers!  Joe

May 24, 2011 3:40 PM

Jason said:

Thanks Alberto for a very useful tool that should never have disappeared from Visio. What were they thinking!!!!

June 13, 2011 11:52 AM

Bobs said:

Hi Alberto,

I have installed the addin and looks like it is installed fine. After that I ran the validate data model part where i got few errors. I fixed the error and then ran the forward engineer process to generate the sql file. The forward engineer process works fine with 0 errors in the visio output window but the file is not generated. I have tried to generate the file in the same folder (network) as data model and also on my local drive but somehow the file is not generated though the forward engineer process is finished.

Any idea?

Thanks

June 23, 2011 9:37 PM

Vinodh Madhavan said:

Woww... very nice plugin...very handy...thanx a lot...

June 30, 2011 6:50 PM

Mukesh Bhavnani said:

Nice Plugin...Thanx.

July 19, 2011 8:39 AM

Krzysztof said:

Your plugin is great but i miss one option. I can set namespace in table properties and I expect it to be used as table schema. is it possible you could add such functionality into the plugin?

Thankx

July 23, 2011 8:42 AM

AlbertoFerrari said:

@Krzysztof,

unfortunately, the table namespace is among the properties that cannot be read using the interface. Thus, the feature cannot be implemented, afaik. But I got used to name my tables as schema.name, the addin will recognize that pattern and create both the schema and the table in the right schema for you,

hope it helps.

July 23, 2011 3:54 PM

Kamshare said:

Excellent it helped me.

September 20, 2011 3:34 PM

Zion said:

Cudos

November 2, 2011 7:40 AM

Thomas said:

Installation was fine.  When I go to the trust center, it shows it as unavailable.  I try to make it available, but it does not keep the setting.  So, I am unable to view the new ribbon.  Any ideas?  Using Visio Pro 2010 on a Win7 64-bit O/s.  Thanks

November 10, 2011 5:08 PM

AlbertoFerrari said:

@Thomas,

Please check the latest release and info on CodePlex, where the project is currently hosted and managed.

I no longer own the source.

Thanks

November 10, 2011 5:16 PM

Rupesh said:

Fantastic. Thanks for this great plugin. The fact that it validates the ERD as well is really good.

Thank once again.

November 17, 2011 6:00 AM

Lenice said:

Alberto, you have a great idea! Contratulations!

I received the same exception Scott did. Do you know how solve this problem?

Thank you!!!

January 12, 2012 3:49 PM

Isabel Marcelino said:

I'm trying to install the Visio Forward Engineer Addin on my Windows 7 64 bits. The problem is that it says "Visio Forward Engineer has been successfully installed." but the COMM Add-Ins keeps blank.

Am I doing something wrong? :(

Thank you.

January 13, 2012 6:28 AM

AlbertoFerrari said:

Isabel (and everybody else)...

The sources of the tool are on codeplex, I no longer follow the development of the tool. You might have a better luck asking there.

Sorry for that, but I donated the project to public domani because I did not have time to follow it

January 13, 2012 6:32 AM

G2daW said:

Exactly what I'm looking for but I need it for Visio 2007.  Got the code so I can create my own version?  It'd be a huge leg up to not start from scratch as I have not done Visio VBA before either.

Thanks in advance.

January 17, 2012 4:18 PM

psiber said:

I'm one of those bad developers that rarely models or plans their database out. Usually my apps are fairly small and only worked on by me so I can usually figure it out in my head what's needed. However having started a new job, and thinking about presenting myself more professionally I decided to model the database for an app I'm about to build first and the only Office compatible tool I had to hand was Visio 2010. I haven't used it for years but remember it did a forward Engineer way back when. I've just finished my model and started looking around for the Forward Engineer option and cannot believe it's not there, especially seeing as I used the SQL provider and intend to host in MSSQL. Thank god for you sir! I shall give this a try!

February 15, 2012 12:26 PM

Aleksey said:

Hi Alberto,

I have identified 2 more issues with the add-in:

1. If a table does not have PK (only basic not unique index) the tool create this index like Clustered PK.

2. It does not recognize varchar(MAX) and similar datatypes.

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 (just in case).

Can you fix it?

I have read the discussion and do know it could be difficult, but anyway I hope it is possible. Otherwise, it is impossible to use it because I cannot trust the add-in at the moment.

Cheers

February 28, 2012 5:39 PM

Ewan said:

Thank you so much for building this and donating it to code plex.

Works like a charm :D

from codeplex: http://forwardengineer.codeplex.com/

April 25, 2012 10:17 AM

Dave said:

This addin TOTALLY ROCKS!  Great error checker EXCELLENT DDL, enforces all the things you look for as a BI expert without having to fire up MS VS 2010!  THANKS!

July 5, 2012 6:17 PM

Parick said:

Worked like a charm! Thank you :)

September 5, 2012 5:07 PM

sakhu said:

this is awesome...in my last project i did not about this tool and I had to recreate all scripts again after i designed table in VISIO...

October 26, 2012 1:52 PM

Christian said:

I cant install, the exe is corrupted it saids it is not a win32 application

November 21, 2012 12:58 PM

Erica said:

I have meet the same problem Christian was having.

Would you please send me the latest release?

My email is lhxseu@gmail.com

Thank you very much!

December 3, 2012 10:07 AM

AlbertoFerrari said:

@Erica,

I no longer own the source.

Thanks

December 3, 2012 10:17 AM

fabio said:

Alberto, excellent Plugin

I have installed and used the lastest release on Windows 7 x64 with Visio 2010 and it's really good.

January 12, 2013 4:41 AM

Ludwig said:

Hello Alberto,

just a silly question. In installed the add in in Office 2010 Dutch version. I see the extra Database section with a couple of features (reverse engineering) however I dont see the the Forward engineer function and data validation function, the one I needed. Do I overlook something?

Thx in advance

Ludwig

February 1, 2013 5:24 AM

Carolyn said:

A co-worker and I are both trying to run this.  He gets the error that it is not a valid win-32 app.  He is using 32 bit xp.  I am using 64-bit windows 7 and get the error that "A runtime error occured during the loading of the COM Add-in"  I do not have Visual Studio 2010 installed on my computer.  Do you have a newer version that solves these issues?

February 8, 2013 4:01 PM

Tom said:

Ludwig,

In Visio 2010 "Database" ribbon tab with features such as Reverse Engineer, Refresh, and Manage Database Drivers, is part of Visio Professional; it is not part of this add-in.

-Tom

March 1, 2013 1:44 PM

Juan Martinez said:

OUTSTANDING ALBERTO!!!

April 15, 2013 11:27 AM

Richard Walker said:

This is brilliant. Alberto your add-in has saved me days of work. Many, many thanks.

September 24, 2013 5:17 AM

Riva said:

Cool tool!This is what I needed!Thank you, God bless you!

November 15, 2013 1:05 PM

When is v2 coming out? Would love to give it a try even as beta... said:

When is v2 coming out?  Would love to give it a try even as beta...

November 25, 2013 12:40 AM

AlbertoFerrari said:

I am not planning any further development on this tool. The source code is not on codeplex, I guess there is the place for getting more information.

Thanks.

November 25, 2013 1:11 AM

Luis said:

Hi... i cant create script with nonclustered primary keys. i dont know how.

I have visio 2010.