Adam Machanic

TechEd North America 2014 (Houston) - Demos - DBI-B489 and DBI-B333

Just a quick note to thank everyone who attended both of my sessions at this year's TechEd show in Houston!

Attached are demos for both the query tuning and window functions talks.

Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

Published Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:05 PM by Adam Machanic

Attachment(s): machanic_teched2014_demos.zip

Comments

RalphHerron said:

The session yesterday was great.  Due to the standing room only I missing one of the "undocumented" trace flags.  What was the one to turn off the spooling?  --Thanks for sharing the knowledge!!

May 15, 2014 1:51 PM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Ralph,

8690. Glad you enjoyed it!

--Adam

May 15, 2014 4:10 PM

Jeff said:

Attended the DBI-B333 T-SQL Power session.

AWESOMENESS!!

Exactly the info I need to convince our CORP IT to upgrade to at least SQL 2012.

We run a lot of month over month and year over year reports against a ton of  data. With these new commands I can show upper management that they won't need to take a coffee break or go clean out their Inbox while they wait for the reports to finish. Convince management and CORP will fall in line!

Thanks Adam!

May 15, 2014 6:55 PM

Patryk Nowak said:

These sessions were fantastic! No amount of Google searching helped me find the solution for our problem queries but these sessions answered all my questions and I didn't even have to ask. Superb. Thanks Adam!

May 16, 2014 3:39 PM

Gustavo said:

Hi there Adam. Good sessions as always.

Now a question about DBI-B489, you said that developers use to use views nested in other views and other views and the QO isn't abe to push predicates down.

And you suggest to use inline TVF instead.

We all know inline TVF rock, but I thought that view were kinda like "macros" and were inlined and expanded by the QO.

I don't quite undestand in which cases the views can prevent the QO to push predicates down.

I suppose very nested and complicates views maybe, but don't know if that's what you meant.

May 20, 2014 6:28 PM

Janaka said:

Hi Adam,

This was one of the best sessions I attended at MS TechEd 2014!!

I learnt a lot!!  I am now a follower!! Thanks!!

May 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Adam Machanic said:

@Jeff/Patryk/Janaka

Thank you for the kind words and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

@Gustavo

I'm not sure I can come up with a specific list of cases -- maybe Paul White could chime in? I'll ask him. In any case here's a simple example against AdventureWorks, in which the predicate pushdown is inhibited by a TOP operator:

SELECT

FROM

SELECT TOP(1000000000)

th.ProductId

FROM Production.TransactionHistory AS th

) AS p

WHERE

p.ProductID = 123

May 21, 2014 2:38 PM

Steve Grimes said:

Hi Adam -- loved your stuff at TechEd -- thank you!

I wondering if the slides 6 through 13 of your DBI-B333.ptx presentation (Windows that open Doors), should say

ORDER BY TransactionDate, ProductID

instead of ORDER BY ProductID, TransactionDate.

At least, that's what the data in the example looks like to me.

Thanks.

May 23, 2014 7:02 AM

Adam Machanic said:

Hi Steve,

Great catch. Could have used your keen eyes last week!

--Adam